Dwarf Gourami Breeding Setup

Fish Folk

Starting down the rabbit hole on a new breeding project - Dwarf Gouramis (Trichogaster lalius). We special-ordered 4x females, and fed them very well. Selected one male, and partitioned a 20 gal long. In this video, we remove 3x females, and move over the male. We shall see what happens . . .

• Like 3

That didn't take long! Are the female dwarfs peaceful like female powder blue dwarfs and honeys? They are rather on the plain side, but their fins and movements are really lovely, and they seem a tad larger than honeys. It seems like many females would be culled, since you mentioned that your LFS only sell males (I've seen that at my LFS with powder blue dwarfs, too). I'm asking all this as I am looking at gouramis for my 20L. I love gouramis but am concerned about aggression issues with having both sexes in there. I never even saw a female dwarf until your video! 

• Like 1

Well, neither had we, really, until we ordered these four. The male is _very_ intense and aggressive. The female dwarf Gourami are a bit larger than honey Gouramis. Not as nicely colored though. I _think_ I noticed in the posting from @Robert that the Co-Op recently ordered in a few female dwarf Gourami’s. I’m certain they’re culled because color sells. Many new aquarists have the worst experience with male Gourami aggression. 

• Like 1