Adding fish to a new planted tank

PatO

I know I’ve heard Cory mention that you should allow a newly planted tank establish a while before adding fish. In my 20 long I plan to add a school of neons and cherry shrimp eventually. I’ll have a cleanup crew as well with some nerite snails, maybe some ottos, again eventually. Is the general idea to let plants grow on their own, let some algae grow and then in 2-3 months add the livestock?

For my planted tanks all I do is let it cycle and then add fish. Depending on what I'm doing with my tanks sometimes it will only be a week or sometimes a month. I have also seen youtubers setup a heavily planted tank and add fish the very day. So I don't think it matters when you add fish in, just as long as it is cycled. 

I've done it both ways of setting up, planting the plants, let them grow some, grow a little algae and then add fish, and where I set up, plant it then put fish in within a day or two. I have not had any problems doing it either way, but I also put a lot of plants in, not just a couple little stems, and I keep an eye on parameters. I wouldn't recommend for a new aquarist to do it the latter way,  but someone who has some experience and can notice problems starting before the become a big issue. 

I did a dark start in my tank. four weeks with just the substrate, hardscape, filter, heater, and surface skimmer running, lights are out, I also ran a Magnum polishing filter to remove dust from the substrate during that time and added bacteria from Seachem Stability, and kept adding about twice a week. the whole four weeks without lights on, no re-arranging, fingers out of the aquarium. I let the biofilm grow on the wood, the shrimp and Otocinclus love it once they finally get added in. After four weeks I turned on the light did a 100% water change, and planted. After another week I added shrimp and Nerite snails. After another week the fish. No cycling problems, no algae problems, most problem free cycling I've ever done on any of my tanks. I verified my water values with test kits before adding the inverts, and the fish both.

Not saying its right or best but I usually move one of the filters from a tank I specifically keep an extra filter for quick starting and plant usually from another tank that's been going a while and add a few fish right away and I've had good results but I dont expect it to be able to handle a full load right away but since I'm just getting into breeding and only start with a trio it works for me.

• Like 1

That is another great option, even if you just transfer some media from one filter to another like sponges, or any of the bio-media. However, as you said you will still have to take it easy with the bio-load of fish until the filter, substrate, and tank surfaces have been fully colonized by beneficial bacteria. The best way to tell is to start easy with a few invertebrates like snails, or shrimp, which are slightly more tolerant of ammonia cycle products and keep running the water tests until the values are stable, then slowly add in fish little by little.

I've used that method too but the dark start helped me completely skip the usual brown algae, and green algae phases I resent so much. However it is a good option for someone who already has other established tanks, or friends from whom they might be able to get some established media.