I’m stubborn, aquarium coop to the rescue

mynameisnobody

Hello everyone, yes I’m stubborn. Quarantining has never been part of my routine. I’ve been in the hobby for about 5 years and have never had to remedy anything other than the occasional ich (3x in 5 years). The fish disease outbreak nightmare could never happen to me because I’m so meticulous. My first mistake was thinking I was a bit more clever than nature. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased 14 very high quality Goldfish from a very reputable breeder. They came in gorgeous, I couldn’t of asked for prettier fish. 7 Ryukens went into a 150 gallon stock tank and 7 Thai Orandas went into a separate 150 gallon stock tank. Both stock tanks each equipped with a XXL sponge filter rated for 200 gallons, 4-5 Anubias Barteri, a low tech light, and a 4” round air stone that pumps a ton of oxygen. My pond room has come to fruition, needless to say I am very excited. 3 days go by and I have an ich outbreak in the Ryuken pond. I have the med trio on hand (even though I never used it, however I made sure it wasn’t expired), so I dosed ich x. 3-4 days go by and the ich subsides completely. A couple of days after that, I notice that 1 of the Thai Orandas has a white spot on the tip of his first dorsal fin. I quickly pull it out and place it in a makeshift 20 gallon long quarantine tank. I dose with maracyn and paracleanse (I figured I may as well do a full quarantine cycle at this point with this guy). A few days pass and another Thai Oranda has a white stringy thingy sticking out from its wen. It may be a worm, I have no idea. I have come to the conclusion that they are all going into 1 of the stock tanks for full med quarantine cycle. I just ordered the 60 gram size of maracyn from aquarium coop. The reason I’m posting this is because it shipped out in less than an hour!!!!!!! We are all always excited to receive any hobby related parcels, however I’ve never had a more important package. I guess I’m just publicly thanking Cory and all his staff for the insanely quick response time. I’ve learned my lesson and from now on everything that comes through this door will be quarantined. Thank you kindly to all, be safe and healthy, Manny 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Glad it worked out! Hope they all get healthy soon.  I have made similar mistakes, thinking that things would be fine b/c they came from a certain source.  I inevitably had issues within the first few days and ended up having to throw together a quick quarantine tank. Now I know why you quarantine, everything, everything, no matter what. 

• Like 2

@SWilsonThank you, and yes to a quarantine no matter what. I remember Cory mentioning in a live stream that quarantining fish in a store is only for the seriously committed store owner because of the many facets involved. This is why his store isn’t the cheapest around. However, I’d be willing to pay much more money for this extra service. The only technicality is that it must be local pick, where as I purchase most of my fish online. 

• Like 1

Im happy to hear that aquarium co op is responding rapidly, and I truly feel for you in this situation. Please keep us updated as to the health of your fish. We may be worlds apart, but if we can help in anyway please dont hesitate to ask. It is often under great duress that we all become better at “how”, and “what” we do. We often get caught up in the who, where, when, how, and it becomes easy to overlook the why. I am guilty of this too. Much like you, only having an occasional ich outbreak i begin to grow complacent. I am truly sorry for the condition of your dear pets, and am truly grateful you shared your story.  It reminds me again as i start to grow complacent of my own habits why it is important to quarantine. I wish you the best, and hope to see your healthy beautiful goldfish pictures soon. 

• Like 1

@Will BillyThank you for the kind words. This is definitely not the sort of situation I prefer to find myself. However, something else I heard on the live stream that stood out was that helping your fish get through any sort of illness or disease actually bonds us closer to them. Especially once they are all healed up and the world is right again. I think I may be bonding a bit more because they are goldfish and as much as I absolutely adore all my rainbows, I have a super soft spot for our goldie friends. Anyways, thanks again and I will be posting up photos, I just haven’t snapped any yet. I’ll give an update in about a week or so and hopefully we’ll see some great before and after’s. Manny 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awe! Look at the cute little fat plumpers. Such wonderful color patterns. I am quite envious and wish my wife would let me start a goldfish tank. Im glad they got their meds and fingers crossed for everyone. Thank you for the pics, as i can only live vicariously through them, until i can convince my wife we need another tank lol. 

@Will BillyThank you for the kind words dude. Honestly, I am married to my best friend and although she technically doesn’t care for an aquarium, she is absolutely engulfed in the hobby. 5x per week we drive to work together listening to Cory’s livestreams. She’s a soldier to say the least. Thanks again dude, much appreciated 

• Like 2

Manny, I am glad you got your meds and the fish look amazing!  I have been researching white discharge from Orandas’ wen and according to some goldfish sites they will have that as part of the growing process of their wen.  Do you find that info too?  Mine has had white stringy substance extruding from the wen.  It is gone now.  I am new to Orandas and am trying to learn what is true about this issue.

• Like 1