My experiments and experience with Otocinclus

Rick Bunn

Holy Cow. This is the best post ever!! I LOOOVE my otos, and I can't wait to try this. I want to spawn them too, and I think I know where I should do that...now that you have solved the feeding problem. Chia seed is freaking BRILLIANT. I am in awe, and soo grateful! 🙌

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Socqua said:

Awesome post. I may have missed it but I'm curious, have you tried this recipe multiple times with different store-bought otos since the first batch? Would be great to see this reproducible on different shipments of a variety of otos!

Species make a big diff too. The only one I can personally predictably reproduce are true vittatus. That’s maddening because basically all stores call “common” otos either vittatus or affinis. Some are true vittatus, basically none are affinis. They seem to be able to handle cocama.

• Like 2

My basic recipe varies a bit as i am still experimenting with ingredients but the most well liked so far is as follows.

3/4 cup finely powdered Chia seeds

1/2 cup of dried powdered Kale

!/2 cup of Spirulina Powder

1/4 cup of each of the following dried and powdered,

Split peas, Raspberry leaves, Dandelion Leaves, Parsley, Dried Bloodworms. 

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.

mix well and I keep it in the freezer to maintain freshness and just mix what I plan to feed immediately.

I have used this basic recipe on two groups of Otos purchased from Petsmart with great success.

*Disclaimer. This is my experience and result, I am sharing here in hopes that others can get the same or better results but I can not guarantee any thing. Please if you try this share your results.  but try at your own risk.  If you find this works for you share for the benefit of the hobby, or if you find a better recipe please share your modifications. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, AdamTill said:

Neat, always like seeing oto spawning reports.

What’s your water management like?

I test weekly and do water changes only when Nitrates exceed 20 ppm.

My normal testing is with the Tetra 6 in 1 No3 <20ppm. No2 0ppm GH 300 ppm KH 180, pH 8

They are in a lightly planted tank and usually spawn on an Amazon Sword growing in the tank,

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rick Bunn said:

I test weekly and do water changes only when Nitrates exceed 20 ppm.

My normal testing is with the Tetra 6 in 1 No3 <20ppm. No2 0ppm GH 300 ppm KH 180, pH 8

They are in a lightly planted tank and usually spawn on an Amazon Sword growing in the tank,

Thanks for that! Can you post a picture of some of your otos? We can probably determine species if you don’t already know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Socqua said:

Awesome post. I may have missed it but I'm curious, have you tried this recipe multiple times with different store-bought otos since the first batch? Would be great to see this reproducible on different shipments of a variety of otos!

So far it has only been with 2 separate groups of 3 Otos purchased from Petsmart. Since they started spawning I haven't bought any more as I have limited room for anymore and have added Sparkling Gourami to the Oto tank to discourage spawning for awhile. 

I am hoping that by sharing this I can get more feedback from others to verify the results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamTill said:

Thanks for that! Can you post a picture of some of your otos? We can probably determine species if you don’t already know.

I will try to get some clear photos of the adults and post them. I do have some shots of the fry somewhere on my phone I will post as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Bunn said:

My basic recipe varies a bit as i am still experimenting with ingredients but the most well liked so far is as follows.

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.

mix well and I keep it in the freezer to maintain freshness and just mix what I plan to feed immediately.

I have used this basic recipe on two groups of Otos purchased from Petsmart with great success.

*Disclaimer. This is my experience and result, I am sharing here in hopes that others can get the same or better results but I can not guarantee any thing. Please if you try this share your results.  but try at your own risk.  If you find this works for you share for the benefit of the hobby, or if you find a better recipe please share your modifications. 

Thank you for sharing your recipe and your experience!

Edited to ask, “How much calcium powder you add for snails or shrimp?”

Edited by Odd Duck

10 minutes ago, Odd Duck said:

Thank you for sharing your recipe and your experience!

Edited to ask, “How much calcium powder you add for snails or shrimp?”

I use a calcium powder designed for reptiles that contains no added vitamins or anything and I just add a little pinch of it before mixing in the water when I am preparing for shrimp, It really depends on how much calcium you need to supplement. I have a decent amount of calcium in my water as it is so I don't add much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, Rick Bunn said:

Are you using a food dehydrator, or just time, like hang drying herbs?

• 4 weeks later...

I mixed up a small batch of this over the weekend.  I mixed the water 1:1 (1/8th tsp) using boiling water, though in that small a volume I'm sure it hit room temp in 2 seconds.  After mixing I smeared it on a river rock and let it sit for 5-10min.  It didn't hold together as well as repashy but it was only slightly worse and frankly repashy doesn't hold up that well for me either. 

I will say my guppies were much more interested vs repashy soilent green.  And the otos found it faster, they usually find repashy once its starting to break down a bit.  Their interest is about the same as repashy I'd say, but I don't think they were super hungry either.  Mine got really fat and I don't feed them that much because I'm lazy and stopped worrying after they looked okay.

In anycase, I took a time lapse so you all can judge for yourself as well.

• Like 3

On 2/25/2021 at 6:58 PM, Brandy said:

Are you using a food dehydrator, or just time, like hang drying herbs?

I have been hang drying most of my plant material though I have just dug my dehydrator out of storage and will probably be using it in the future.

2 hours ago, CT_ said:

I mixed up a small batch of this over the weekend.  I mixed the water 1:1 (1/8th tsp) using boiling water, though in that small a volume I'm sure it hit room temp in 2 seconds.  After mixing I smeared it on a river rock and let it sit for 5-10min.  It didn't hold together as well as repashy but it was only slightly worse and frankly repashy doesn't hold up that well for me either. 

I will say my guppies were much more interested vs repashy soilent green.  And the otos found it faster, they usually find repashy once its starting to break down a bit.  Their interest is about the same as repashy I'd say, but I don't think they were super hungry either.  Mine got really fat and I don't feed them that much because I'm lazy and stopped worrying after they looked okay.

In anycase, I took a time lapse so you all can judge for yourself as well.

Thank you so much for sharing this,