Java Fern not happy - help!

For a while my Java ferns were thriving, but during my battle with staghorn and BBA, trying to balance my tank and spot treating the algae, they have been struggling. 

These are in my 55 gal community tank, fluval 3.0 light (including my light settings), dosing tank with Easy Green 2x a week, do 25% water changes every 2 weeks. I have hard water (located in central Texas) with a ph of 7.4. 

Any tips or suggestions?

5CC47747-436B-4771-824F-9778781BF5AC.jpeg

08522A78-72DF-4FFA-85A7-BFAA6E7BF598.jpeg

43799715-50BC-4F94-B375-220AE32C2FD5.png

• Like 1

I would recommend dropping your blue levels quite a bit. I don’t go above single digits in my 20 gallon tanks and nanos. For a brief night light, 1% is enough when all the other colors are off, at least at my depth.

We have a bunch of programming examples from the forum community here:

BTW, your tank looks gorgeous!

You can probably get away with less frequent water changes with your stocking level, and the good amount of plants in there.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I would recommend dropping your blue levels quite a bit. I don’t go above single digits in my 20 gallon tanks and nanos. For a brief night light, 1% is enough when all the other colors are off, at least at my depth.

We have a bunch of programming examples from the forum community here:

BYW, your tank looks gorgeous!

You can probably get away with less frequent water changes with your stocking level, and the good amount of plants in there.

I actually have a good amount of livestock in there. 8 angels, 15 cardinal tetras, 3 yo-yo loaches, 5 Cory cats, 1 red tail shark, 2 albino bn plecos, about 4 balloon molly, 6 platies, 2 mystery snails, and I think 5 nerites... at some point I put 6 Amano shrimp in but I haven’t seen any since that first week 😂😂😂

Even with my filtration, I feel more comfy doing more frequent water changes with my stocking level. 

I will adjust the blue light for sure!

Hi @missriss126

The Microsorum pterous (java fern) is not the only plant that appears to be suffering in your tank.  The plants in the center front (Cryptocoryne parva??) appear to have marginal chlorosis (yellowing of the leaf margins) as does the plant to the left of the moss Marimo Ball.  In the newer leaves of the java fern appear to be more showing more 'yellow' (chlorosis) than the older leaves.

Easy Green directions call for 1 pump per 10 gallons once a week and twice a week for higher light tanks.  Your tank is 55 gallons, likely about 45 gallons of water allowing 20% volume loss for the substrate (about average).  Are you dosing 4-5 pumps twice a week?

The symptoms I see in your tank appear to be related to insufficient available magnesium, insufficient available iron, and possibly insufficient nitrogen and potassium.  Awaiting your answer to the amount you are dosing.  -Roy

10 hours ago, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @missriss126

The Microsorum pterous (java fern) is not the only plant that appears to be suffering in your tank.  The plants in the center front (Cryptocoryne parva??) appear to have marginal chlorosis (yellowing of the leaf margins) as does the plant to the left of the moss Marimo Ball.  In the newer leaves of the java fern appear to be more showing more 'yellow' (chlorosis) than the older leaves.

Easy Green directions call for 1 pump per 10 gallons once a week and twice a week for higher light tanks.  Your tank is 55 gallons, likely about 45 gallons of water allowing 20% volume loss for the substrate (about average).  Are you dosing 4-5 pumps twice a week?

The symptoms I see in your tank appear to be related to insufficient available magnesium, insufficient available iron, and possibly insufficient nitrogen and potassium.  Awaiting your answer to the amount you are dosing.  -Roy

When looking at the plants in person, the crypts on the front in front of the Java fern do not have any yellow, the crypts to the left in the photo are nearly arrived from the co-op. The swords have holes because no one mentioned my bristlenose would much on them LOL

Yes, I am dosing 5 pumps of easy green twice a week. 

Hi @missriss126

If when the java ferns were doing well and you were dosing 5 pumps 2X per week did you have the same amount of plant mass in the tank as you have now?  As the amount of plant mass grows the amount of nutrients I have to add to my tanks increases as well.  I would suggest dosing 3X per week instead of 2X per week and watch the new growth as it emerges.  Any existing leaves will likely not improve, it is the new growth that will indicate if the additional nutrients are helping.  -Roy

• Like 1

I think you will do well with the reduction in blue light, you could possibly up your pink a bit as plants like and use the amber and red spectrum of light for growth primarily. Seattle-Aquarist also had a good point and you could increase your dosing but I would monitor it closely so you don't get algae problems and keep in mind that Java fern is a very slow growing plant.

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 11:39 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @missriss126

If when the java ferns were doing well and you were dosing 5 pumps 2X per week did you have the same amount of plant mass in the tank as you have now?  As the amount of plant mass grows the amount of nutrients I have to add to my tanks increases as well.  I would suggest dosing 3X per week instead of 2X per week and watch the new growth as it emerges.  Any existing leaves will likely not improve, it is the new growth that will indicate if the additional nutrients are helping.  -Roy

Sorry I missed this! 
Looking back at photos from when the leaves were healthier, the Java fern has at least doubled in mass! I didn’t realize quite how much it was filling out toward the back of the tank until I pulled out the wood it’s attached to to catch out some fish! 

I will dose at least 3x per week, would it hurt to just simply remove some of the old leaves that aren’t looking too great?

On 2/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jungle Fan said:

I think you will do well with the reduction in blue light, you could possibly up your pink a bit as plants like and use the amber and red spectrum of light for growth primarily. Seattle-Aquarist also had a good point and you could increase your dosing but I would monitor it closely so you don't get algae problems and keep in mind that Java fern is a very slow growing plant.

Do you have suggestions for specific percentages? In the mean time I reduced it to about half. 

I will have to take some progress pics or videos, it is hard to see change in the slower growing plants when you are staring at them every day 😂

• Like 1

In my experience there is no one solution that serves all. I would look at your current levels and use increments of 3 - 5 percent, You'll notice the changes, if it is too much then you can change it back. It always takes a while to see results and to finally hit just the right balance between lights and fertilizer.

Any leaves that are not doing well, are dying, or already dead, by all means remove. Just trim them off and the plant will no longer waste nutrients and energy into mending what can't be saved and focus on building new leaves.

• Like 1