Dying Guppy (# 3)

Sandra the fish rookie

Hi everyone~

I am hoping that this is almost over. As most of you know my trial and tribulation of the introduction (without quarantine) of 5 guppies last Saturday. I did identify and am treating the worms. I believe (hope and pray) that this is the las one going to die from this horrible incident. My resident fish have all done very well during the treatment (my peppered cory cat gave me a scare.. but he bounced back better than ever). 

But this little dude, has been on a steady decline, and I actually was surprised to see him alive (not to active). However, he has been in this spot.. for hours.. very short of breath.. I tried to see if he would just lie on the rocks..nope.. we went back to this exact spot and stays upside down. 

What should I do? What are my options? I am doubtful he will survive but I don't want him to suffer either. 

If you're 100% positive he won't recover from the parasites and is suffering a long and painful death, euthanizing the fish will be the best option. Clove oil is an effective in a quicker/ less painful death. Instead of prolonging its life, it will only have to suffer for a fraction of the time. You've mentioned that you're new to the hobby in a different post yes? If that is the case, then you probably won't have clove oil, another option is blunt force. That is quicker, but usually people don't want to do that. Always try to save the fish first, sorry for your losses and I hope the best for you and your fish.  

EDIT: never freeze your fish as a way to put it down, they have proven it is much worse than other options. 

Edited by Keeg
Missed note
  • Like 1

Yeah this. Really, clove oil is the least traumatic for you, and presumably the fish. Otherwise, with a small fish it is hard to bop them on the head like a game fish, but that is what needs to be accomplished. Fast full skull smush, any means available. 

• Like 1

@Fish Folk Yes your right see pictures below (sorry about that).. Here is my problem

1) Just added additional sponge filter Monday (not enough bacteria on it yet)

2) Purchased and started a quarantine tank on Tuesday. Used Seachem prime and Stability. I put the small additional specialty filter piece in the tank to help get it cycled. But I don't think its ready. I tested it today. No Ammonia, but its definitely not cycled.  

As for the main tank, I have an Air stone (no clog) additional sponge filter (from Aquarium Co Op). 

Guppy.jpg

QT 2.jpg

I hate to be the person to bare bad news, I would personally euthanize that fish. Usually when they're that bloated and upside down, it's already too late. I would advise you to use the clove oil as it is the most human method, don't put it in the main tank/ quarantine tank. Sorry for your loss 😞

1 minute ago, Fish Folk said:

@Sandra the fish rookie hard to hear, but don’t let this experience spoil you to the hobby. Had a guppy die today too. It happens. Everyone will have different perspectives... just hang in there! Are you _certain_ the problem is / was _worms_?? 

@Fish Folk is right, this is the hard part of the hobby, fish don't last forever.  When I got my nano tank set up, all the guppies died. They gave birth before they died and now I all the babies are grown up and making more.  

• Like 2

@Fish FolkMy original members (1 guppy, 2 cory cats, I mystery snail and ramshorn snail) have all been healthy and thriving for months. I went on Saturday and purchased 5 new guppies. By Monday, 1st guppy died. I noticed another one had a long white thing coming out of his butt. I actually medicated the entire tank with the QT trio, and noticed another one with a worm. So I continued the ParaCleanse, then another guppy (the one with the worm) died. This one it was hard to tell if it was a worm or not. He may have been bullied, as I noticed a nip out of his tail. But he has a bloated belly too.. which he did not have when I brought him home 😞 

I am going to leave him in there for a bit longer. 😞That just SUCKED ..but better than him continuing to suffer. 

Wow.. I have had an aquarium for 1.8 months (55 days, 7.8 weeks) and NEVER imagined I would go through so much with an aquarium and fish. I never realized it was so complicated and fragile. 

I have learned a lot, cried a lot, and am trying very hard not to quit. I will enjoy what I have left, but will have to really think about adding more... this has been a total nightmare. I have my quarantine tank up and running and fully plan to use it before ever introducing finish to my existing aquarium again.

BUT... I have no idea how I would have EVER have survived what I have without the support of all the people in this forum. Seriously you all so knowledgeable and I have learned a ton in such a short time. 

Thank you @Brandy, @Keeg and @Fish Folk for your quick response and jumping in when this rookie needed help the most.. THANK YOU!!!!! 

• Like 4

Sorry for your hard intro the the hobby but glad to hear you're sticking with it. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned but don't forget to treat for worms again in a couple weeks to get any new baby's that hatch. The medication can't get them until they hatch so if there's eggs and you only treat once they will come back.