Not sure if I'm getting the picture exactly . . . 

If you're adding more substrate to an aquarium with fish already in it, that's one thing. If you're adding to a fishless tank, that's different. 

How is it that you are adding water with substrate? Not sure what this means . . . 

We just use a soup ladle and gently add one scoop at a time. But our tanks are pretty small. If this is a 40 gal or larger, that might take forever! 

I guess if there's concern about needing declorinator, you can just add some after the substrate is in. Still unsure why you'd need it though. 

For reference, you can probably disregard using dechlorinator when changing out 15% or less of the water from an aquarium. Greg Sage at Select Aquatics has an auto water change system that changes out small percentages of water daily, and he's fine without using dechlorinator. 

Edited by Fish Folk

If I was adding gravel to an existing aquarium...

I would not worry about the amount of untreated water coming in on the gravel if you are scooping it out of the bucket rather than just dumping it in.

After you have added the gravel, I would then do a water change to help remove the cloudiness, using your dechlorinator as per usual.

If you have a deeper tank, it may be beneficial to drain out some of the water first before adding the gravel. Then fill back up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Not sure if I'm getting the picture exactly . . . 

If you're adding more substrate to an aquarium with fish already in it, that's one thing. If you're adding to a fishless tank, that's different. 

How is it that you are adding water with substrate? Not sure what this means . . . 

We just use a soup ladle and gently add one scoop at a time. But our tanks are pretty small. If this is a 40 gal or larger, that might take forever! 

I guess if there's concern about needing declorinator, you can just add some after the substrate is in. Still unsure why you'd need it though. 

For reference, you can probably disregard using dechlorinator when changing out 15% or less of the water from an aquarium. Greg Sage at Select Aquatics has an auto water change system that changes out small percentages of water daily, and he's fine without using dechlorinator. 

Yeah. It's a 125g with one one bristlenose pleco. Lol. I recently sold my african cichlids and I'm doing a community tank. I have mollies and one dwarf gourami in QT right now. Want to add more substrate before adding the new fish. 

13 minutes ago, Cory said:

I've never needed to do that. If you were worried you could put a tiny dechlor into the tank before adding the substrate.

Ok. Thanks 

Nice to hear from you. Just got my order 10 minutes ago. Excited to put this usb air pump on my QT tank so the 125 can have its pump back. 

How would you go about this QT process?  I have one bristlenose pleco in my 125g that has been with african cichlids that I never quarantined. I now have a 10g QT tank with mollies/platies/variatus and one dwarf gourami. I'm already several weeks into deworming and treating for any possible bacterial infections and I should have included the pleco. The only thing I suspect the bristlenose could have is internal parasites so do you think I can just swap the fish in the two tanks when the QT process is done on the 10g or could there be internal parasites still alive in the water column?

7 minutes ago, Chewyrat77 said:

Yeah. It's a 125g with one one bristlenose pleco. Lol. I recently sold my african cichlids and I'm doing a community tank. I have mollies and one dwarf gourami in QT right now. Want to add more substrate before adding the new fish. 

Got it! Yeah, just dump it in and add some dechlor afterwards if you’re really concerned. 

Great question Chewyrat77.  

I want to expand on that a bit.

Back to the hobby after a 20 year break.  Started a 75 gallon planted community tank, like a noob and added fish to appease my 8 year old way too early.  Long story short after having the initial issues with new tank syndrome I finally get the tank balanced.  Two weeks ago picked up addition Guppies from another hobbyist and made another noob mistake of not quarantining them. ICH for everyone!

All the fish are now in a 5 gallon quarantine tank (those that made it anyway) and the 75 is empty.

My question is, do I need to be concerned about the 75 gallon tank when it comes time to bring new fish home?  Do diseases remain in the tank?  Do I need to treat it as a preventative measure?

Thank you,

7 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Great question Chewyrat77.  

I want to expand on that a bit.

Back to the hobby after a 20 year break.  Started a 75 gallon planted community tank, like a noob and added fish to appease my 8 year old way too early.  Long story short after having the initial issues with new tank syndrome I finally get the tank balanced.  Two weeks ago picked up addition Guppies from another hobbyist and made another noob mistake of not quarantining them. ICH for everyone!

All the fish are now in a 5 gallon quarantine tank (those that made it anyway) and the 75 is empty.

My question is, do I need to be concerned about the 75 gallon tank when it comes time to bring new fish home?  Do diseases remain in the tank?  Do I need to treat it as a preventative measure?

Thank you,

That's kinda the same thing I'm wondering but with ich I would treat the 75 since cysts could have fallen off and when they rupture you'll have more ich. Can only kill it while it's in the water column