Canadians, how do you deworm/ treat for internal parasites?

FrozenFins

Hello my fellow canadians,

I was wondering, how do you deworm fish? With the very limited stock of meds in Canada we cant just go out and get paraclense (we need a vets perscription for that). I know that enough salt can kill worms/ internal parasites. I have also read of Supertech 100% natural fish health remedy And how it treats for external parasites such as ich and also bacterial infections and fungus. But I have never read of people using it for internal parasites. 

So when QT'ing puffers and other wild caught fish do you guys even deworm? 

I haven't had to deworm fish luckily.  My first Rams were not good stock and developed Hexamita shortly after.  Not too long ago it was still possible to purchase Metronidazole in my LFS.  It did disappear off the shelf for awhile though.  Even General Cure was hard to get as it has Metro in it.   Other wormers like fenbendazole and levamisole have to be gotten through the vets now and would be more costly.  I thought about trying farm livestock outlets for the latter but wouldn't want to figure out the dosing.   You might look up using Epsom salts.    Since, I bred and raised my own Ram fry and they are super hardy!   

• Like 1