Tank in your main entryway?

Sal

Do you have a tank in the main entryway of your home (or would you put one there?) Pros/Cons?

We have an empty 77" wall in our entryway and are considering it.

My main problem is being high maintenance about my home, and needing it to look amazing.  😂

Something to consider, be wary of the layout and surroundings. I try to avoid high traffic areas where it can get bumped, or say i buy a new couch and need to move it through my front door. If there is a chance i can bang it and crack the glass that is a lot of water that will go everywhere. 

• Like 2

2 things I would consider are temperature and traffic.

Main entry makes me think of possible drafts either from seals around door, or the door opening and closing. Shouldn't be an issue for larger tanks, but small tank could suffer from temperature swings.

Also traffic. As was mentioned, collision with the tank would be a concern. Also the fish you are keeping in the tank may not appreciate a high traffic area. I believe certain fish like bettas enjoy attention and activity outside the tank, but many other fish may be scared of the frequent movement of people going by the tank.

• Like 1

Things to consider for sure. 

It's hard to explain but it's not in a DIRECT path of traffic in/out of the house, more indirect.  I'll attach a picture...  It's more like a little galley that attaches one side of my house to the other.

Where the cabinet is, is where the tank would go.

The main entrance from my porch is off to the right, diagonally facing to the cabinet

I am standing in my home office/den/studio room, so this little hallway is a main passthrough, but not directly in the path of entering the house...  

Would you consider a tank there?

IMG_3777.jpg

i think it would look great there! My only concern is that its a passageway area where people only glance at it. Perhaps you could add a seat or two for leisurely viewing. Tank should always be in a place where it can be seen and appreciated, the need to stay on top of maintenance is a plus not a minus! That way you and the fish get the most benefit. Also the dimensions should fit the space in proportion. Something big, about the same footprint as the cabinet would be perfect. A 10g would just look lost and sad. 

Edited by Tetra Guy
  • Like 3

Completely agree!  Where our tank is now is a tucked away corner of our livingroom, not viewable from the sofa.  

We all want it to be somewhere easier to view...  We just don't have a lot of other options for a good viewing spot.

There is definitely enough room in this hallway for a little free-floating bench or a couple stool seats.

• Like 1

Floors are ceramic tile (made to look like wood) so that should be OK, and the kitchen, as well as a laundry room (with a sink) are very close! 

I will have to consider temperature I think.  We live in New England, and that spot does get drafty...

Our other thought right now is finding a way to add a tank to the office/studio space, but there is no where to put it where it won't be at least partially in front of a window...

decisions, decisions...  😂

Edited by Sal