Aviation and Radio Control

FlyingFishKeeper

Hi everyone, I noticed that a lot of people here are from either the aviation community or the rc hobby, so why not have a thread in the forum about it? If you would like to you can post anything related to aviation &/or radio controlled planes, quadcopters, cars, crawlers, boats, etc here. Things like updates on projects, stories, etc are also welcome!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

Thanks for the replies! I'm still a fairly novice radio control pilot but love building and I've done more builds then I'd like to admit due to crashing so many times. I really love the use of foam board since it is fast to build, easy, and fun. Not to mention budget friendly. I'm designing and building my own plane and have done the fuselage, part of the nose, and the tail without the vertical and horizontal stabilizers yet. 

@FlyingFishKeeper, I was heavily involved in the fascinating radio control hobby for over 20 years.  Built & flown high, mid, low,  elevon mixed, & multi-engine wing nitro\gas aircraft.  Progressed over the years to precision & advanced 3D flying & trained a number of people.  Met a bunch of very nice folks along the way flying at various club fields & air shows.  

BTW, If your still new to the hobby, am not sure if you have a computer simulator program for practice?  They help a lot, especially in trying & perfecting advanced maneuvers. 

@AdamTill, Aerial photography used to be much more difficult years ago.  So much easier today for sure.

@Angelfishlover, Maybe a higher torque servo with metal gears may help.  Also chassis vibration can lead to servo failure over time.  

@FlyingFishKeeper, Foam based RC planes are a lot of fun. Sounds like you are enjoying the sport.

I had many "Foamies" over the years with Lipo batteries & brushless motors.  Even put together several flying wings (no landing gear), constructed from plastic downspouts for the fuselage & plastic coroplast for the wing.  Was a ton of fun to fly, but needed some exponential rates, to reduce control surface sensitivity.  It was quick @ over 100 mph.

Computer simulators are extremely helpful.  I learned years ago, mostly by trial & error & did have a good "Elmer", to guide the way, with the old fashioned " buddy box".  Computer Sims were not that popular at that time.  

• Like 1

That's one of the things I really like about the rc hobby, you can learn by trial and error, and as long as you're being safe you only need to worry about not hitting the ground. I have a Great Planes balsa plane that I got from a club raffle a while ago, once I get some more experience flying foamies I'll hopefully learn to build with balsa on a different model then build and fly the Great Planes one. I also need to learn how to use a brushed motor and work without a BEC, or I might just update the electronics, not quite sure yet though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveSamsell said:

@FlyingFishKeeper, I was heavily involved in the fascinating radio control hobby for over 20 years.  Built & flown high, mid, low,  elevon mixed, & multi-engine wing nitro\gas aircraft.  Progressed over the years to precision & advanced 3D flying & trained a number of people.  Met a bunch of very nice folks along the way flying at various club fields & air shows.  

BTW, If your still new to the hobby, am not sure if you have a computer simulator program for practice?  They help a lot, especially in trying & perfecting advanced maneuvers. 

@AdamTill, Aerial photography used to be much more difficult years ago.  So much easier today for sure.

@Angelfishlover, Maybe a higher torque servo with metal gears may help.  Also chassis vibration can lead to servo failure over time.  

I’m not to into planes but I have a drone, I am going to get a Savox servo for it when my local hobby shop has then agin 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

That's one of the things I really like about the rc hobby, you can learn by trial and error, and as long as you're being safe you only need to worry about not hitting the ground. I have a Great Planes balsa plane that I got from a club raffle a while ago, once I get some more experience flying foamies I'll hopefully learn to build with balsa on a different model then build and fly the Great Planes one. I also need to learn how to use a brushed motor and work without a BEC, or I might just update the electronics, not quite sure yet though.

Balsa does fly a bit better IMO, but foam is convenient and can be easier to fix, if necessary.  The ESC's & BEC's are very nice with recent technology.  Quite reliable and it's amazing how much electrical power they can handle, in such a tiny configuration.  

Flying electric aircraft seems more popular today, than ever.  

Lead acid, nickel cadmium and alkaline batteries were among the only choices, in earlier days, LOL.  Trouble is they are very heavy and don't even compare to today's lithium battery potential.  

Most flyers I flew with, were always running either on gas or glow fuels.  The gas/glow engines are more realistic, but obviously noisier.  

Yeah, I like the lithium polymer batteries in general, but really dislike how dangerous they can be if handled improperly. Personally I really like the idea behind balsa since it seems similar to how most aircraft are made today, with spars and a covering especially on the wings and tail. I haven't seen a gas/glow plane yet, but they sound really cool, and fun to fly!

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

On 2/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Yeah, I like the lithium polymer batteries in general, but really dislike how dangerous they can be if handled improperly. Personally I really like the idea behind balsa since it seems similar to how most aircraft are made today, with spars and a covering especially on the wings and tail. I haven't seen a gas/glow plane yet, but they sound really cool, and fun to fly!

You're right about the LiPo batteries and their associated risks.  Personally, I charged/stored/transported them in a portable fireproof box.  I have seen instances where folks did have trouble with them, but not very often.  Rough handling, crashes, overcharging, shorting out the wires, old batteries, punctures, over-discharging,  just to name a few items, can be extremely serious. 

The "glowfuel" 2 cycle engines are probably the most common and inexpensive.  They offer easier set up and operation.

Followed by the "glowfuel" 4 cycle engines.  They offer more torque at a lower RPM, with a more realistic/quieter tone.  

Regular "Gas" powered engines are the most inexpensive to run, but a little pricier to purchase initially, IMO.  Typically for the larger scale aircraft.  

Yeah, I used to have a 850 mah lipo that I scraped against some concrete and I really disliked using it until it started to smell and puff so I ended up getting a new one. I think I saw a demonstration of it somewhere, probably FliteTest demonstrating what happens when you overcharge it was pretty dramatic... It seems like gas might be safer in some situations since it's only the vapor thats flammable compared to a LiPo always being flammable?

6 hours ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Yeah, I used to have a 850 mah lipo that I scraped against some concrete and I really disliked using it until it started to smell and puff so I ended up getting a new one. I think I saw a demonstration of it somewhere, probably FliteTest demonstrating what happens when you overcharge it was pretty dramatic... It seems like gas might be safer in some situations since it's only the vapor thats flammable compared to a LiPo always being flammable?

A friend of mine was flying a gasoline powered airplane, awhile back & it crashed into the side of a hill & hit a rock.

I never seen an engine break into so many pieces.  Also, the fuel from the tank spilled onto the hot engine & it flamed up instantly.  

It pays to have a fire extinguisher handy, at all times,  lol.  🧯

Personally, I like the glow fuel powered engines the best, for many reasons.  The vapors from regular gasoline fuel are very dangerous, especially if one is not careful. 

4 hours ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Wow, once an engine does that is it gone, or can you repair/replace parts?

It really depends how bad the crash would be & how it hits the ground.   Though, I have seen engines driven into mud & muck over a foot deep that ran again after some minor repairs.  Typically, on the glow engines, the carburetor, high speed needle valve or muffler is what's damaged most of the time.  Never really seen a damaged crankshaft surprisingly.  Usually the propeller metal or plastic nosecone will absorb a lot of the shock.   

Also, the engine would be often filled with dirt & should be taken apart and rinsed out, then properly lubricated & reassembled.  

There can be internal damage, so it should be inspected carefully, etc.  

Some folks just "junk" the engine, sell it "as-is" listing it was a crashed engine, or use it for "spare parts", as well.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, sorry for the sudden disappearance! 

On 2/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, DaveSamsell said:

Usually the propeller metal or plastic nosecone will absorb a lot of the shock.

Wow, metal props? Never heard of them on rc, how often do they break? After trying (and failing) to teach myself how to fly for the first few months I've ended up with a lot of broken 6x3 props.

Also: 

I've gotten to fly a small UMX Radian that runs off a 1 cell. Flies great, although the winds push it around a lot. (The gyro is constantly making tiny adjustments you can hear from the ground which are pretty cool to listen to.1048601785_ScreenShot2021-06-22at11_50_29PM.png.b7a7ba97c6e0b50a68da1b2e033c65f3.png

@FlyingFishKeeper, I was referring to the nose cone being of metal, not the propeller.  Typically, propeller material is wood, nylon or fiberglass\carbon fiber.  

Have owned & flown the original Radian & Radian Pro w\flaps.  A lot of fun in thermals.  

Keep practicing a couple of mistakes high & you will be  pro in no time.  

I have been busy myself with fish lately.  Setting up an outdoor 100 gallon planted tub.  

All the best....

• Like 1

Haven't been involved in decades but I had fun as as kid with R/C cars. I had the Lunchbox which was like a monster truck van and my buddy had a similar car called blackfoot it had a pickup truck body. Good times offroading with those.