Ramshorn over population

Donna

Beginner here :classic_smile: I have one of those dumb questions that some might make fun of me. This year is the first time I have had an aquarium and I didn't want to put fish in it because I don't know if I could keep a fish alive. I am a senior citizen, retired and wanted to have a hobby.

Without doing any research, I bought 10 beautiful Ramshorn snails. I put them in a 10 gallon tank then added root floating plants. So now my aquarium is full of snails! I don't know what to do with all these snails! I have started scratching off the new eggs that I find on the aquarium glass. It's possible there could be 500 in this 10 gallon tank!  No fish in tank. Only snails, and a bunch of salvinia floating plants that are multiplying also {I think the snails are laying eggs on under side}. I really like the snails BUT without killing these litter critters, what are some ways to scale down? Should I get a larger size tank?

Thanks folks and please be kind!

DonnaJL in North Carolina

• Like 2

Hi @Donna! So glad you've joined the forum! And this is a great question!

A couple of things you can try:

1. Stop feeding the snails. They reproduce according to the food supply. When it drops off, they will slow down.
  2. Get another aquatic creature that eats snails. You can try pygmy chain loaches or maybe assassin snails. The assassin snails reproduce muuuuuch more slowly than the rams horns.
  3. Take some to your local fish store. Especially is they have nice shells, with no pitting and a lovely color. It could be that your LFS would be willing to take some off your hands. 

Personally, I would do ALL THREE things at the same time.

Just a heads up - as snails die off, they reeeeeally stink. You'll want to remove any that die during this process.

I sure hope that helps you a little,

Alesha

• Like 6

That's awesome! It's a great hobby to start and everyone here will have nothing but kind words to share I'm sure. 

I have to ask: why do you want to limit the numbers? Is it aesthetics or are you just concerned for their safety/health? If it's the latter, I wouldn't stress. Let them do their thing and enjoy them. If it's the former, read on. If it's something else, do share 😁.

The easiest way to limit the numbers, but would end up decimating then eventually (though 500 would take a very, very long time) is by adding a pea puffer. I think you would really enjoy one in your ten gallon. Another way would be to limit their food. They will only reproduce (and survive) if enough food is available. If you're feeding them you can cut it way down, like once a week even. If it's mostly algae you can cut your light time, move the tank to a darker area, etc.

Would love to see pics if you want to share. Oh, and a larger size tank would just repeat itself but with 1,000 or more.

• Like 3

How much are you feeding the snails? 

I think the best method would be to remove a bunch manually (and give/sell to a local fish store if they'd take them, or another hobbyist).  You don't need to kill them. To limit the number of new snails, you likely need to drastically reduce the amount you are feeding them. Snails tend to boom when food is plentiful and numbers recede as food gets more scarce.  

• Like 2

Thank you Doc! I just called a local fish store (Nemos) and they will let me donate some! Yay! Those folks at Nemos are so helpful and their business has really grown the last few years. So I know (I hope) the snails will be safe. I was feeding them qd at first, then qod, then q3d. Now I am going to starve them a while!  Great advice, and thanks so much!

• Like 4

I'm not sure how to post a response to the answers you gave me so here's what's happened. I just called a local fish store (called Nemos) and they will let me donate some! Yay! Those folks at Nemos are so helpful and their business has really grown the last few years. So I know (I hope) the snails will be safe. I was feeding them QD at first, then qOd, then q3d. Now I am going to starve them a while!  Great advice, and thanks so much!

• Like 2

@Donna another way to limit their numbers without worrying about killing them is basically to automate the egg scraping you have been doing. I have found that adult livebearer fish (like guppies and platies) will eat snail eggs off the glass.

But look out! If you get both males and females you will have the same problem, only with fish! 

A great solution is to get just male guppies, or just female platies. Male guppies are colorful and super active. Female platies are more peaceful, but still colorful. One to five fish may help keep the snail breeding in check.

There are other types of fish that will eat both snails and eggs, but mostly these just eat eggs as far as I have seen, slowing down the population growth without completely stopping it. Also they are generally pretty easy fish to keep.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donna said:

Beginner here :classic_smile: I have one of those dumb questions that some might make fun of me. This year is the first time I have had an aquarium and I didn't want to put fish in it because I don't know if I could keep a fish alive. I am a senior citizen, retired and wanted to have a hobby.

Without doing any research, I bought 10 beautiful Ramshorn snails. I put them in a 10 gallon tank then added root floating plants. So now my aquarium is full of snails! I don't know what to do with all these snails! I have started scratching off the new eggs that I find on the aquarium glass. It's possible there could be 500 in this 10 gallon tank!  No fish in tank. Only snails, and a bunch of salvinia floating plants that are multiplying also {I think the snails are laying eggs on under side}. I really like the snails BUT without killing these litter critters, what are some ways to scale down? Should I get a larger size tank?

Thanks folks and please be kind!

DonnaJL in North Carolina

I know you said without killing the snails but if I where you I would get a puffer of some sort and feed it the snails,you could also take them to the place you bought them but they still might end it as puffer food 

5 hours ago, Donna said:

I'm not sure how to post a response to the answers you gave me so here's what's happened. I just called a local fish store (called Nemos) and they will let me donate some! Yay! Those folks at Nemos are so helpful and their business has really grown the last few years. So I know (I hope) the snails will be safe. I was feeding them QD at first, then qOd, then q3d. Now I am going to starve them a while!  Great advice, and thanks so much!

Also another way to get rid of them if you wanted and make money is to sell them on OfferUp or Craigslist. Most LFS (local fish stores) charge $1.00 per snail. So while the local store said you can "donate" some they will end up re-selling them to people that want to start a colony or as food for puffers. When I had my puffer I was purchasing them from others on offer up for $0.25 a piece until my colony finally kicked off. 

If I was you I would take them to my local store in your case Nemo's and ask for a credit for each one you give them. So maybe ask for $0.05 - $0.10 cents per one and get credit for fish or more food for the future. 

But that's my .02 cents or half a snail 😉

• Like 1