So I have seen pictures of tanks with Pothos in their tank filters, or just outside the tank. What is everyone's take on this? Have any of you done it? I have SO many of these plants.. I often trim them and put the cuttings in a mason jar. But wondering if they would be a good aquarium plant to. 

Would love to hear what people have done. If they like it, or if its a pain to maintain etc.. I have a Aqueon quiet flow 10 hang on the back filter (see below). ps. Excuse the filter media, I have a carbon filter in my extra slot to rid the tank of deworming medication..

Happy Friday Eve everyone! 

Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 filter.jpg

Plant.jpg

• Like 1

I have not yet decided how to go about this, but for now I have a Pothos cutting and two other Epipremnum offshoots and a Streptocarpus. But not mounted or fixed. I don't expect it to be hard to maintain, if it gets out out control I suppose they can be thrown out and replaced just like that. I will probably add spider plants too. 

I have a foam background that I consider mounting some onto (planting into), but I also will probably make some kind of hooks to hang on the rim. For now, they are doing well 🙂

I was wondering about that too. I found this blog article on aquarium co op website about it. 
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/pothos

i see that you want to place it on the opposite side of the motor so that roots dont stop up the impeller. My question is should you remove sponge filter media? Or just let the roots grow into the sponge filter media is ok?

15 minutes ago, Sandra the fish rookie said:

If people put these on their hang on back filters, do they just live without the cover?

I tried adding pothos right into the filter, but couldn't bear not to have the cover on it. I tried weaving the roots down in the cracks, but that didn't work very well, and ended up being a pain.

Eventually I decided just to kind of wedge the plant between the side of the filter and the lid. 

1835974582_2-11-202110-56-41AM.png.bf00d6344f7baf0a0f74de636a480d5f.png

It works decently, and the roots get down into the tank nicely.  Only downsides are that you need to be careful if you ever have to remove the lid. Your pothos will slip down into the tank or fall out behind depending on the balance. Overall, it's worked for me, but everyone's going to be different. 

Overall, I love having the pothos. I don't know how much nitrates it's eaten up for me personally (woe is my testing), but I love the look of the plants coming out of the top of the tank.

• Like 1

I have pothos and a Japanese peace lily sitting on top of my tank. The only real problem I have is I haven't found a permanent spot to hang the pothos so I do take off a few leaves here and there during maintenance.495967450_japanesepeacelily.jpg.99cac6dfc3c6b6a399689a84353199a0.jpg 

• Like 2

Doo eeet!! Easiest way to scavenge nitrate...There was a cool old mom and pop hippie run LFS in oregon in the 90s that had all their tanks rigged on a filtration system that had the water hydroponically growing various houseplants in PVC troughs at the back of every rack. I miss that place soooo much. At the time I could barely believe it was worth it--now I KNOW it saved them tons in terms of water changes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've never put it in a hob, but I have just let it hang off the side of the tank. The roots can get pretty crazy. I had to trim them more than the vine.

This cutting had a nice curl in it that allowed for it to "clamp" on to the side of the bowl.

1613198432654486856024441924842.jpg.523101622622cd7a2a93504352138306.jpg

• Like 6

I've been thinking about pothos too!  it seems like a really great way to absorb nitrogen fast.  ironically i started getting plants to help fish, but now i like the plants, so i just started ferts to add more nitrogen! maybe the solution is to buy more fish so i can get more plants.

• Like 1