It's a sickness, isn't it?

Rikostan

We have a large walk in basement that I don't go visit very often...Just no real need except to inspect things, but today I was down there and found a 20 gallon aquarium I didn't know we had. My daughter used it a few years ago for rodents. I knew we had a 10 gallon, which I had my son pull up a couple of weeks ago when I started to think about setting up a tank, but I didn't remember the 20.

I got a little excited... LOL

So in the space of less than 3 weeks I went from no tanks to a 45(odd size I know), two 20s , and a 10 gallon.

Of course I still don't actually have any fish, since I am cycling the first 20 gallon and the 40, but I am already deeply, deeply hooked on this hobby/lifestyle.

Saturday we are making the trek a the closest aquarium store and probably a petco or petsmart too. I've waited to go until my wife has time and can hold onto the credit card and reign me in a bit, but I expect to come home with some fun stuff.

The ten gallon is all ready to go, so maybe I'll just grab a few guppies for now, just so I have some fish.

I really don't have anywhere else to share this stuff with people who will understand, so I apologize in advance for overly enthusiastic newbness.

Gonna go give the 20 a good scrubbing now!

Welcome! It sure is! In December I returned to the hobby after a >10yr long hiatus. I'm already up to 4 tanks (29,10,9,5) setup, a tub outside, a 55, 10, 20L in planning and I just bid on two 75s! 😬

My warning on the guppies: for your first 10g, stick with a few males. They breed like crazy. A few males is a good way to get you into the routine of maintenance with a brand new tank without all of a sudden having 50 fry on your hands!

Have you planted the 10 gal? What are your plans for the other tanks?! Good luck!

• Like 1

Hiya and thanks for the welcome! I have had quite a few tanks in the past, but it's been 40 years since I was serious about it, so I am actually looking forward to breeding the guppies. The first 20 gallon should be ready to go by time they need to move out of the 10.

As for the others, well the ten will be my hospital tank, but I haven't quite decided on what i want to go into the 40 gallon or the other 20. I like the idea of tetra schools, but I'm taking my time on deciding. i feel like i need to slow it down a bit...

I'll be sure to post pics after I decide though!

Oh and yeah plants from the co-op in the 10, the first 20, and just a few in the 40, but I'm about to put in my third order to really fill out the 40.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rikostan said:

As for the others, well the ten will be my hospital tank, but I haven't quite decided on what i want to go into the 40 gallon or the other 20. I like the idea of tetra schools, but I'm taking my time on deciding. i feel like i need to slow it down a bit...

I just gave this advice to someone on Facebook and I apologize if I already mentioned this on another thread.  🙂   I think we talked about themed tanks in your greeting thread.   But one of my favorite exercises right now is to build a tank around a central fish.  For example, when I was planning my 40 gallon, I was sure at that time that I wanted Keyhole Cichlids.  So the tank was planned around them.

Is there anything that you've always wanted to try?   I keep seeing shell dweller tanks and they look fascinating.  I'd have to pimp my water for any sort of African cichlid I think.  I'm also deeply in love with the idea of an Amazon Puffer but that may be because I keep seeing Murphy in the store.  It's hard not to fall for all things puffer when you see him.

Is there a particular behavior you want to see?  Big schools and shoals are lots of fun.  Now that I think of it, there's a new Aquarium Co-op blog post with 20 gallon tank theme suggestions.  That might be helpful too.

Have fun planning!  I think that's almost as much fun as having the fish. 

Also, regarding your comment, "I really don't have anywhere else to share this stuff with people who will understand, so I apologize in advance for overly enthusiastic newbness."  Good lord, don't apologize.  I think everyone here is geeking out in some way or another.  You're not alone!  😛

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ForestJenn said:

I just gave this advice to someone on Facebook and I apologize if I already mentioned this on another thread.  🙂   I think we talked about themed tanks in your greeting thread.   But one of my favorite exercises right now is to build a tank around a central fish.  For example, when I was planning my 40 gallon, I was sure at that time that I wanted Keyhole Cichlids.  So the tank was planned around them.

Is there anything that you've always wanted to try?   I keep seeing shell dweller tanks and they look fascinating.  I'd have to pimp my water for any sort of African cichlid I think.  I'm also deeply in love with the idea of an Amazon Puffer but that may be because I keep seeing Murphy in the store.  It's hard not to fall for all things puffer when you see him.

Is there a particular behavior you want to see?  Big schools and shoals are lots of fun.  Now that I think of it, there's a new Aquarium Co-op blog post with 20 gallon tank theme suggestions.  That might be helpful too.

Have fun planning!  I think that's almost as much fun as having the fish. 

Also, regarding your comment, "I really don't have anywhere else to share this stuff with people who will understand, so I apologize in advance for overly enthusiastic newbness."  Good lord, don't apologize.  I think everyone here is geeking out in some way or another.  You're not alone!  😛

You know... i really haven't put much thought into yet. i knew I wanted to get back into guppies and shrimp weren't really available when I had tanks before, so I knew I wanted to give them a try.  That made the 20 a pretty easy choice, but I think i am really going to take my time with the 45 and find a few things that really grab me. I currently have no idea what that'll be. 🙂.  

i do know that i am either going to have to move all my other hobbies out of my office or move some stuff around somewhere else in the house, because i am willing to bet I'll have a larger tank by Christmas!

18 hours ago, Rikostan said:

Hiya and thanks for the welcome! I have had quite a few tanks in the past, but it's been 40 years since I was serious about it, so I am actually looking forward to breeding the guppies. The first 20 gallon should be ready to go by time they need to move out of the 10.

Awesome, good luck! My 29 was quickly overwhelmed by two litters from one impregnated female. Fry grew quick and were bombproof. Some people seem to have luck with guppies managing their own population, so if you're lucky this will be the case!

it usually seems to require keeping the adults hungry, but I think among new people overfeeding is more common than underfeeding. That was most likely a factor for me, as I noticed little predation. I was used to feeding Oscars in my first stint, so that may not be as much of an issue with more experience 😄 

Edited by dublicious
wording
  • Like 1

I completely understand.  I left the hobby for a few years.  Clean my closet out and found my old 10 gallon.  Decided to set it up. 3 weeks later.  I buy a used 36 gallon.  3 weeks later, I have a 20 gallon.  The fun part is setting it up.  10 g and 20 g are up and running and going great.  But the 36 gallon turned into a fry tank. Put 4 Otos in there to clean up. Couple weeks later there was fry all over.  So I guess until they grow a bit. I have a 36 gallon with only otos. But gives me time to decide what fish to add in the future.  But yes I completely understand,  3 running tanks in just over 2 months.  Planning a koi pond next. 😂 Gotta stop watching the Pong Guy on YouTube.  

Edited by JerseyBundy
  • Like 1

Welcome brother. You are already in the second stage of MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome). You actually skipped stage 1 where you just have one aquarium with fish running for awhile before getting a second. I am impressed.

I had to live in stage 1 for years on end due to living in a small apartment and having three young kids but it was pretty big at 55g so the kids really enjoyed it with me. Finally I got a small container pond for the back porch too.

Last year we got a new house and I confess I had a secret agenda of looking for one where I could have lots of tanks and we got it! Right now I still have the 55g plus a 3.5 desktop with cherry shrimp, 2 container ponds (40g & 15g) a 20g and 2 10g.

• Like 2