I am changing my mind. I was thinking about doing a 90 gallon angelfish tank, but I recently have fallen in love with geophagus red heads. I have 2 large amazon swords and I want to add them in the tank. I was wondering if the geophagus would just rip up the plants.

Edited by Paul_Obermiller
  • Like 1

Cool fish! We've got some Geophagus Heckelii (Threadfin Acaras) that we'd like to rehome in a large tank. [see photo] From what I've seen, mature Tapajos tend to turn over a _lot_ of sandy substrate. I think fish keepers generally find plant success in a Geo tank by securely attaching rhizome plants to wood or other hardscape. 

I really love this guy's videography...

Geophagus Heckelii.png

• Like 2

I don't think they really need time to establish, Geos will pretty much just go after what is planted in the substrate. I have never seen them bother plants that are attached to things. I have Anubias and java fern attached to rocks, wood, and suction cups on glass with no issues. If it can't be pulled up from the bottom, or buried, they will be fine.

• Like 1