I am changing my mind. I was thinking about doing a 90 gallon angelfish tank, but I recently have fallen in love with geophagus red heads. I have 2 large amazon swords and I want to add them in the tank. I was wondering if the geophagus would just rip up the plants.

Edited by Paul_Obermiller
  • Like 1

Cool fish! We've got some Geophagus Heckelii (Threadfin Acaras) that we'd like to rehome in a large tank. [see photo] From what I've seen, mature Tapajos tend to turn over a _lot_ of sandy substrate. I think fish keepers generally find plant success in a Geo tank by securely attaching rhizome plants to wood or other hardscape. 

I really love this guy's videography...

Geophagus Heckelii.png

• Like 2

Had a Geophagus jurupari once and it was one of the best fish I've ever had. Got a little bigger than I expected and is the red heads are similar that 90 is about minimum. 

Mine did not tear up plants but was also a bit shy. Loved to have a place to hide. Was great with Discus. 

• Like 1

My tapajos are diggers, and whatever they can't dig up, they bury. I have seiyru stone disappear under the mountains they make in their tank. I have had no luck with any plant that isn't glued or tied down in that tank. But they are so worth it. Beautiful fish. 

Putting the sword plants in pots might be your best option. Treat them like a waterlily in an outdoor pond with a layer of large gravel/stones atop the soil to prevent the fish from uprooting them. Goldfish and koi are notorious for uprooting plants, so doing what pond keepers do might be your best option.

I don't think they really need time to establish, Geos will pretty much just go after what is planted in the substrate. I have never seen them bother plants that are attached to things. I have Anubias and java fern attached to rocks, wood, and suction cups on glass with no issues. If it can't be pulled up from the bottom, or buried, they will be fine.

• Like 1