Food Schedule or Rotation

missriss126

For those of us who have quite a few different foods and want to offer a variety to provide a balanced diet — How do you decide what to feed and when? Do you have a set schedule? Do you wing it?

I currently am feeding: frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, xtreme krill flake, xtreme nano pellets, xtreme sinking wafers, repashy soilent green, and just ordered a setup to feed live baby brine shrimp  

I try to do one “dry” food (flake or pellets) and one “fresh” food (frozen, live, or repashy) feeding per day for most of my tanks.

I love the idea of a master feeding schedule to go off of, though!

• Like 1

I feed my fish smaller amounts twice a day, i sorta balance it by doing proteins in the morning and veggies in the evening. When i had kuhli loaches a long time ago i would feed them at night when they were most active and other fish were sleeping. I found a video from Irene on this subject. Maybe her video might give you an idea of how to setup your own schedule. 

• Like 2

You're doing very well! That's great variety. In my opinion, there's no need to be overly diligent with feeding a variety of foods. We run about 20 tanks, and generally speaking have a slight rotation depending on the species:

Here's just a few tanks and how we rotate feedings . . .

- African Cichlids get much more greens than Amazon cichlids (which lean more protein). Omega One Kelp Flakes, Omega One Cichlid Pellets, Bug Bites, New Life Spectrum Red Color Enhancing Pellets, Bug Bites Spirulina Flakes . . . that's what they get

- Discus + Rams get live Black Worms for one week / per month, baby brine shrimp every other day, Xtreme Krill flakes, Bug Bites color-enhancing flakes, some Kelp Flakes (not their favorite, but it's good for their digestion - plus there's salmon protein), and bug bites crumble-pellets

- Acara + Columbian Tetras get various flakes and pellets, different every day

- Goodeids get kelp flakes, Bug bites spirulina flakes, and baby brine shrimp . . . occasionally some other flakes

- Angelfish get Xtreme Krill flakes, live black worms, baby brine shrimp, and some other flakes

- Bronze Corydoras get a smattering of everything

Here's a video feeding live black worms . . . 

Goodeids get greens. Bettas, Killifish and Dwarf Gourami

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.40.17 PM.png

• Thanks 1

I have a scehdule printed out by each one of my tanks. My betta is the most spoiled with the most variety of foods (northfin betta pellet, hikari betta bio gold, frozen blood worms, fluval bug bites) 

Monday: Bug Bites Tuesday: NorthFin Pellet Wednesday: Hikari Pellet Thursday: No food Firday: frozen foods Saturday 

To keep it simple most of my aquariums get the sameish foods. On Friday of everyone gets Frozen Foods, on Monday everyone gets either bug bites or repashy, then throughout the week everyone gets the selected pellets food. On Thursday I don't feed anyone

Hmmmm... reading this thread, I almost feel like I’m under feeding. Though my fish seem healthy.

feed 2, sometimes 3, times per week.  Literally, 1/32 teaspoon of Bug Bites.  I usually do 2 scoops of a 1/64 measuring spoon - a minute or so apart.

I also use frozen cichlid food cubes. I try to do each kind, once per week, but sometimes forget (hence the occasional 3rd feeding).

I am also getting ready to be gone for 6 days at the end of the month. Do I need to feed more now?  Should I feed more in the week before I leave and then not worry while I’m gone?  Right now I was going to have a friend come in mid-way thru to feed them. 

I only feed my little piggies twice a day because i have an ever growing guppy farm apparently. Combined with 2 golden dojo loaches that, that is all they do is eat and scavenge. You couldnt put them dojos on a diet even if you tried. Im pretty sure they would find a way to metabolize gravel if i stopped feeding them lol. It just depends on what you got going on in your tank. 

Mine get micropellets or flake in am, and then live baby brine shrimp or one of my three frozen/freeze dried foods (daphnia, blood worms and brine shrimp are on hand now) in pm. I don't keep super close track of what days I feed what, except on Saturdays I replace the am feed with spirulina flake.

• Like 1