Something is wrong with this lady’s rabbit

Will Billy

Slightly more related to aquarium keeping and one that eats a lot of algae. 

Check out the Marine trochus snail... No not the normal small-ish conical snails.. there GIANT cousins. 15cm (6 inches)  diameter bases let alone height. 

Just a cool thing sold them a couple of times at my work haha. 

Algae munching powerhouses. 🐌🌿

images (7).jpeg

• Like 2

Here is a short info page from rhe USDA on this seriously dangerous snail. And they can carry a nematode that causes meningitis! One woman put 3 in her Florida garden, which quickly turned into 18,000. They not only demolish gardens, crops, and all kinds of plants, they also destroy stucco and plaster structures!

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/plant-pest-and-disease-programs/pests-and-diseases/giant-african-snail/gas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That is a very eye opening article, thank you for sharing that @Maggie . That is a great reminder of the responsibilities we as fish owners, or any exotic animal for that matter, have in protecting our local ecosystems. Aquarium hobbyists have saved many fish from extinction in their native habitats, but we have also caused ecological damage in return. It takes all of us to do our part, and be mindful of our actions and unintended consequences. You reminded me of a video i saw about the common pleco. This video was very eye opening as well watching the sheer numbers of them swimming around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1