Quarantine tank?

HisMineandOurs

This is the first time I have used my 10 gallon quarantine tank (or any quarantine tank for that matter). I have 7 neons, and 3clown loaches in, I took the sponge from a healthy 30 gallon and put it in, it is set at 80 degrees, lights are on for 6 hours, I didn't feed today, I'm dosing with the trio and I started yesterday. My question is, "Is it normal for the clowns to be up at the top with the bubbles from the sponge and should I feed?" Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Depending on the stocking levels I’ve noticed that some of my fish appear to gasp when being quarantined with meds so I make sure to run a air stone all the time as well. Whether or not it actually helps I don’t know but I don’t notice the gasping with the extra air stone running.

• Like 1

Well, maybe I got to the fish too late. One of the clowns are dead, with another one trailing close behind and 3 of the neons are dead as well. I feel like such a poor fish nurse 😢. I do wish I was more sure of what I am supposed to be doing. I'm disappointed I couldn't make them better.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, HisMineandOurs said:

Well, maybe I got to the fish too late. One of the clowns are dead, with another one trailing close behind and 3 of the neons are dead as well. I feel like such a poor fish nurse 😢. I do wish I was more sure of what I am supposed to be doing. I'm disappointed I couldn't make them better.

I am sorry about that, can you walk us through the steps you took from the beginning? 

Did you set the QT tank up the day of getting the new fish?

Was dechlorinator or any other chemicals used?

Was the qt at temp before adding the fish?

Were the fish acclimated before putting them in the qt tank and what was that process?

Was one treatment of the med trio used?

We’re they fed, etc.

At the end of the day there may be factors that you can’t see that caused the issue. We can only do the best we can with what we have.

Seeing all the questions were very helpful. So much of that wasn't done. I just saw the (I believe) velvet and panicked. Two of the clowns were showing signs of what the box described as velvet and a few of the neons looked like they had ick. I just panicked and set it up as best as I could remember Cory saying in a video I watched. Those videos are SO helpful, but only when I pay more attention and take notes. Things have started to calm down now. I have dosed 3 times now with ick x and twice with the other two meds. I think I heard Cory say I should feed very little if at all, is that right? Thanks for the help.