Bored/ inactive spotted congo puffer

Keeg

Hello there, I've had this puffer for a little over 2 years now. When I first got him, he was a skinny little guy who liked to hide. Now he's a chonker that only swims occasionally and for food. I feed him blood worms almost daily, a couple rams horn snails every once and while, and a clam on the half shell. Water parameters, pH 7.0, nitrate 0, nitrate 5, temp 75.2 degrees F. I upgraded him from a 20g half a year ago to a 40g and with sand. I've tried getting him to be more active by getting new plants and fish, but he just ignores them. Even after I rearrange the tank every week during water changes, he still finds his corner. I use a finnex 36'' light and dose easy green every week (one pump as I do 25% water changes). I have attached photos what what he looks like when he wants to be active. 

PLEASE NOTE: He likes to stay at the bottom of the tank, he's done it forever. I just wish he was more active/ less bored. His name is also Bob🙂

IMG_9863.jpg.48b08aa0355036438340354520d1e12f.jpg

IMG_9E7736BF9C4F-1.jpeg

IMG_82659F6F5F83-1.jpeg

Edited by Keeg
  • Like 2

Larger puffers seem to be very interested in saving energy. They're pretty much the couch potatoes of the fish world. I suspect that part of that is due to the fact that their typical prey isn't especially elusive. If you can't chase down a snail, well, you've got problems. Snails, crabs, crayfish, freshwater clams, aren't especially elusive and hard to catch so puffers can just hang out and wait for a meal to meander by rather than be off chasing down something fast and hard to catch. They aren't especially streamlined like a barracuda, and speed isn't their greatest asset. Though they can put on a short burst of speed when prompted. They seem to be on the evolutionary path to becoming something like a marine angler fish or frogfish that just sits in one spot and waits for a meal to wander in range. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, gardenman said:

Larger puffers seem to be very interested in saving energy. They're pretty much the couch potatoes of the fish world. I suspect that part of that is due to the fact that their typical prey isn't especially elusive. If you can't chase down a snail, well, you've got problems. Snails, crabs, crayfish, freshwater clams, aren't especially elusive and hard to catch so puffers can just hang out and wait for a meal to meander by rather than be off chasing down something fast and hard to catch. They aren't especially streamlined like a barracuda, and speed isn't their greatest asset. Though they can put on a short burst of speed when prompted. They seem to be on the evolutionary path to becoming something like a marine angler fish or frogfish that just sits in one spot and waits for a meal to wander in range. 

17 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

In this situation, if you aren't doing this already, I would put in the snails at night when Bob is sleeping. It would give him a reason to "hunt" a bit and make scanning his surroundings worth while.

Thank you both for responding, I am new and I don't know how to give you reputation points. It really means a lot and I am already taking your advice into action. Thanks again 😃

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keeg said:

Thank you both for responding, I am new and I don't know how to give you reputation points. It really means a lot and I am already taking your advice into action. Thanks again 😃

Hi Keeg and welcome! You can give them points by "liking" their posts, using the little reaction button that looks like a heart.

• Like 2