Platy breeding problems

ArneDoug

A little Barry White or Marvin Gaye might help... Is there anyone else in the tank? My first thought is, are you sure they're not breeding? Because platy fry are a delicious snack if there are tank mates and not a lot of hiding places for the babies.

What are you feeding? It seems that when there's food they're likely to breed more. Baby brine or easy fry food may help.

Adding another female might help too. If the male is constantly chasing the female platy, she may need a break.

• Like 1

There is a betta In There but the male doesn’t care about the female and the female doesn’t have a gravid spot, they were by them selves for 3 of those four months and nothing happened then either I had a camera on it and there was never breeding 😞, I think I’m gonna add another female but the male doesn’t Seem to care so I might have to get a different male too. 

Yeah just two platies might be feeling a little lonely and stressed. Adding another female and feeding some high protein baby foods like baby brine shrimp will help. They also tend to like harder water than a betta tends to enjoy, so if the water's on the softer and more acidic side, they might not be feeling in the mood as much. If you really want them to breed, I'd stick them in their own ten gallon with 1 or 2 more females, give them lots of plants like hornwort to canoodle in, lots of minerals like from a wondershell, feed them baby food, and play that Marvin Gaye.