Question/help

Connor Elliott

Ever since I brought home my new platy I’ve noticed he has been scratching and now my other fish are scratching I didn’t quarantine because my quarantine tank is being used to treat other fish and so when I first got him I just treated the whole tank I want to give them a break from the meds now but I have noticed they still scratch and the one new platy has one white spot and a few tiny little air bubbles on him what should I do? I’m planning on treating again.

54 minutes ago, team fishes and shrimps said:

could be ich or bad water parameters. do big water change and use aquarium salt. 1/3 tablespoon per gallon.

I just don’t get it I always test my water and make sure my parameters are always good I did just do a big water change and did a lot of gravel vacuuming I don’t want to add salt because I have live plants

Wow, 8.5 is kind of high, even for platy. Lay off the equilibrium for a little, do a 20-30% water change, see if you see a change in behavior. If they're still flashing (rubbing against decor or plants) there's still something making them feel itchy. Common wisdom is gill flukes, which you can dose them with some prazipro or paracleanse for, but aquarium salt will also work. But salt will hurt your plants if you have them, so treat in a separate tank if you have to go that route.

40 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Wow, 8.5 is kind of high, even for platy. Lay off the equilibrium for a little, do a 20-30% water change, see if you see a change in behavior. If they're still flashing (rubbing against decor or plants) there's still something making them feel itchy. Common wisdom is gill flukes, which you can dose them with some prazipro or paracleanse for, but aquarium salt will also work. But salt will hurt your plants if you have them, so treat in a separate tank if you have to go that route.

Yeah I just got done treating with para cleanse ich x and Maricyn and so right now I’m giving them a break from the meds

On 2/8/2021 at 7:02 PM, Kirsten said:

I have a question what did it mean when I saw little air bubbles and one tiny white spot on the fish? I have been giving the fish a break from the medication but I am going to treat again. Also I have noticed they don’t scratch as much but they still sometimes do it hmm I’m not sure. 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Connor Elliott said:

I have a question what did it mean when I saw little air bubbles and one tiny white spot on the fish? I have been giving the fish a break from the medication but I am going to treat again. Also I have noticed they don’t scratch as much but they still sometimes do it hmm I’m not sure. 🤷‍♂️

Fraid I don't know that. I did at one point see a white spot on the tail of a platy once and I was positive it was the tip of her tail bone. Sad to say she died a few days later, so I wonder if it was a sign of starvation, either through not getting enough food or through internal parasites.