Can I add tums into my tank for calcium?

FriendlyLoach

15 minutes ago, FriendlyLoach said:

I have a 40 gallon planted tank with neons, honey gourami, cherry shrimp, and snails. I am trying to feed my shrimp some calcium, so can I give them tums? Also if I crush the tums up and sprinkle it into my tank, will it add calcium into my tank's water, or can I just feed it to them? 

This video should help: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the mint tums and my snails and shrimp both eat off of them. I have been doing this for almost a year now with no negative side effects. ( I would suggest putting the tums on a flat rock or feeding dish as not to powder coat the substrate). My plecos and other fish will also nip and feed on them. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Whenever I use Tums, it's just eaten, so it's a good dietary supplement for snails and shrimp. I've tossed it in whole and everyone just goes to town on it, even the fish. Lately I like to crush it up and mix it in with Repashy food specifically for my snails. I've never noticed any difference in my Kh from it.

If you’re just looking to add calcium to the water, you can always use straight-up calcium carbonate powder. It will make the water look white and cloudy for a bit. Don’t add too much at a time—it will raise your pH a bit as it raises your buffer (KH).

https://www.amazon.com/North-Mountain-Supply-Calcium-Carbonate/dp/B01M23Y8LR/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Calcium+carbonate&qid=1620648180&sr=8-7

If you’re looking to get your fish/snails to eat calcium, I’ve seen a lot of people crush tums into snello recipes (snail jello—jello for snails). Then it’s mixed in with veggies and spirulina. Part of a complete breakfast. 😉 

@BIG GREEN I thought the same thing 😅 but if it works for other people, hey, that’s great! Do what works.

• Like 1

Cuttlebone is an aquarium safe alternative way to get extra calcium into your tank. Pet shops sell them in the bird supplies and they can take a while to sink in a tank, but they will eventually sink. They're mostly aragonite so if you don't want to add aragonite in the form of crushed coral, you can simply drop in a cuttlebone or two. (Cuttlebones are easier to remove than crushed coral also if you decide you don't need them later.) 

• Like 1

I use tums and usually within 24 hours I see a bunch of shrimp molts, so from what I can tell it helps them. I used to breed cherry and ghost shrimp by the tons in a 100 gallon and this was always part of a varied diet. If it's too messy for you just feed it the day before a water change and you can clean up the excess tums powder when vacuuming.

• 9 months later...