Mystery Snail New Shell Growth or Problem

CaraB

My magenta mystery snail seems to be growing very rapidly and not coloring in, or something is wrong with his shell. He (I think) is our first snail. He is acting normally, moving around a lot and eating. I have a wonder shell in the aquarium, moderately hard to hard water, ph 7.4, kh around 20-40. No nitrites or nitrates, ammonia is between 0 and .25, but I’m finishing a maracyn treatment and I don’t want to change the water. I have today and tomorrow left for the treatment. Unfortunately the fish I was treating passed this morning 😞

Any advice? Is this normal growth or should I be concerned?

C5B22A7D-647B-44F9-BE97-AFABC86FFB6C.jpeg

This is totally normal. I breed magenta and there is a lot of variety as far as coloration- it HIGHLY depends on your water quality. And when I say that, I don't mean that you necessarily have poor quality water. Think of it more like a finger print- it is unique to the water. Do you know what your gh is? I would say your pH might be just a tad on the low side for snails- consider adding crushed coral. Keep in mind that it will raise your kh even more, but shouldn't be an issue for the snail. 

Also, are you doing anything to help with calcium? That can help color as well. And, once again, crushed coral is your friend. I also like to add Tums, but I have a ton of snails in the tank and that would be overload for a single snail.

Overall, you will see more color as it grows, even if you were to do nothing. My issue is usually that they become more brownish over time, like when they get really old. The light color is totally normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, H.K.Luterman said:

Adding on to what Kat_Rigel said, you can get Repashy food and mix crushed up Tums into it; makes great snail food. I use the mixed berry Tums and either Soilent Green or Community Plus Repashy. Then you can just feed a little bit at a time if you only have one snail. 

I do exactly this!

• Like 1

Thanks! Oh good! I’ve been so worried! This growth is about eight days worth, which seemed crazy fast! I don’t know the exact GH because I use test strips, but I believe it is between 250-300ppm, according to the color I get on the strips. The wonder shell is a calcium addition in the water, I believe, but sounds like I should feed calcium as well? 

I use repashy like @H.K.Luterman and @Kat_Rigel with calcium carbonate instead of Tums, however I've definitely thrown Tums right into the tank. My Mysteries love ❤️ 🐌 ❤️ I make snello which is blended blanched veggies (carrots, spinach...), calcium carbonate, spirulina, freeze dried blood worms/daphnia and sometimes I throw in duckweed, then mix with gelatin. 

Basically I food prep better for my snails than I do for myself! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, BlackLabelCarling said:

I use repashy like @H.K.Luterman and @Kat_Rigel with calcium carbonate instead of Tums, however I've definitely thrown Tums right into the tank. My Mysteries love ❤️ 🐌 ❤️ I make snello which is blended blanched veggies (carrots, spinach...), calcium carbonate, spirulina, freeze dried blood worms/daphnia and sometimes I throw in duckweed, then mix with gelatin. 

Basically I food prep better for my snails than I do for myself! 😂

Do you do anything to the duckweed before you put it into the mix? Or do you just strain it and it's set to go?