Had to Cull a Neon Green Tetra

Chris C.

• pH: 8.0-ish
  • Nitrates: None (Went down from last change)
  • Hardness: "Very Hard"
  • Nitrite: None
  • Ammonia: None
  • KH/Buffer: Stable, hasn't changed
  • Water Temperature 78-ish

We culled this one tonight after noticing that the body seemed bloated and "fuzzy"... Not even sure if that's the right word to describe it. Hopefully the pictures help make this make more sense. We had 11 Neon Green Tetra (now just 10) and 3 Adult Male Guppies. We have Vallisneria, Java Fern, Java Moss, and a Cryptocoyne Parva for plants.

We opted to cull after seeing how red the gills had gotten, it seemed clear that this one was not doing well. No other tetras look strange. No big behavior changes were noticed.

Only thing we can thing of is that it's been longer between routine water changes than we normally go (things have been crazy and we got complacent). We had our usual amount of algae growth, which I think is why we didn't see anything sooner.

We've previously lost a couple of neon greens to dermosporidium/dermocystidium (those terms seemed to be used pretty interchangeably when I was looking that up ages ago). That was back in December. Any ideas about what this was? We can't have a QT set up in our apartment, so we'd be medicating all remaining fish.

IMG_7093.JPG

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_7098.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7106.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

Looking at the pictures it looks like neon tetra disease it highly infectious be careful not spread on equipment to other tanks there  is no treatment available for NTD they can live a long time with it from what I read recommendations are to keep really good Water quality  is what recommended