Double outlet aquarium air pump

Ariel S

Hello all! 
I have an Aqua Culture Double Outlet Aquarium Pump and I’m wondering if any knows a way to close off or disable one of the two outlets.

I was using to put air into two tanks at once, but I’m no longer running the 2nd tank. Ive tried just putting two airlines into the tank (20 gallon high) but there was way too much flow and my fish were getting whipped around and avoiding half of the tank. Currently, I just have airline connected to 1 of the outlets and air is just blowing out of the 2nd outlet. I’m feeling like it’s just wasteful. 

Other than just buying a single outlet air pump, anyone have suggestions on a way to close off the 2nd outlet safely?

For anyone on a budget that’s never had one- these air pumps are super cheap and I really love it. It’s literally right next to my bed and I hardly hear it. Hardly any vibration at all. I just don’t need the 2nd outlet anymore. 

thanks in advance! 

3D9909F6-C7BD-41A6-ACBF-C8AFF34CA8B4.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

I have in the past just combined both outlets into one using a "T" connector for the airline or a gang valve. That always worked pretty well for me.

I think in the long term that can potentially wear the pump out quicker because the diaphragms are fighting each other to push the air, just something to consider. 

15 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

I think in the long term that can potentially wear the pump out quicker because the diaphragms are fighting each other to push the air, just something to consider. 

That totally makes sense, just wondering if there's less likelihood of wear on the diaphragms doing it that way versus cranking one down or turning it off with a control valve or check valve. At least the air has somewhere to go...

3 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

That totally makes sense, just wondering if there's less likelihood of wear on the diaphragms doing it that way versus cranking one down or turning it off with a control valve or check valve. At least the air has somewhere to go...

Yeah I do agree with that. A tee is a better option than capping it.

• Like 1

I run a short piece of tubing with a valve on the end as well. I am running a cheapy pump from Amazon, I have had it set like that for around 18 months with no problems so far. I guess it just depends on how long you want to run it before you buy another pump lol. 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:08 AM, Ariel S said:

What kind of valve? A check valve? 

Just a airflow control valve. I’ve been using this setup on a Tetra Whisper dual output air pump for over a year with no issues. 

Edited by Paul
Spelling
  • Like 1