Lethargic and possible fin rot in betta rescue

rachaeljuno

I rescued this little guy last night from someone who wasn't caring for him properly. He said he didn't do much maintenence for the tank and I saw the water and it was GREEN, and there wasn't a heater in his previous tank. He's very lethargic. He spends most of his time on the bottom of the tank (sometimes on his side not moving but breathing heavily), and when he swims it's mostly must to go up for air, then he swims back down to the bottom. He didn't eat last night but ate two small pellets this morning. I replaced the filter with a sponge filter, put in a heater at 79º, and took 1 gallon from an established tank with a very healthy betta, and did 4 gallons of new water. What should I do? It's saying that the photo upload is failing, but hes a white halfmoon male betta. He currently looks more pink than white, and his tail is much shorter in some sections, with long (maybe the bones of his tail?) sticking out.

Edited by rachaeljuno

I would suggest salt at this point. Salt works MIRACLES in my experiance, and I'm sure it can help yours. Not only will it reduce the stress but also help with any bacterial infections or parasites. 

Heres a link:https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/fritz-freshwater-salt-1lb?_pos=1&_sid=22dfe3afd&_ss=r If you scroll down it will tell you the ratio of salt, I would reccemoend to take all live plants out.

Is there a way you could try uploading the photo again, some people on the forum upload them to google photos or dropbox and share a link that way, you could try that. You could also try copy and pasting the photo onto the message (thats what I do). To do this on google photos, simply upload the photo, click on the photo when in google photos, click share, click create link, click create link again, click copy. Now simply paste the link into the message

Heres a video KG Tropicals did on betta ilnesses, perhaps it could help.

Heres another video by KG Tropicals and how they rescued there betta, bubbles

Also just a little FYI: Green water is not harmful to fish in anyway, its actually probably beneficial to the fish. Small little fry will use the green water as a food source. Green water is simply algae in the water.

Edited by James Black

image.png.5ef4f9379a436e0e3df0edd2b2c619d3.png

The copy and paste worked, thanks for that suggestion. And about the green water part, I probably should have instead written that the previous owner told me he didn't really ever to maintenance on the tank like water changes. And also idk if this is normal but in the picture (easier to see in person not on camera) you can kind of see that his gills (I guess the 'beard' part) are black, as well as there is some black underneath his body on his anal fin. I read about that and it seemed like it's either normal or it's caused by poor water quality?

1 hour ago, rachaeljuno said:

Okay thanks. Would I put him in a quarantine tank? Bc I have 2 nerite snails and live plants in there. And could I use an air stone instead of a sponge filter in the quarantine tank? I'd have to put the heater in the quarantine tank

Yes put him in a qt tank. That ratio of salt is not plant safe and probably not snail safe either. Looks like he could have a major case of fin rot too, maracyn may be a better way to go then salt. I would do maracyn and salt treatment.

1 minute ago, rachaeljuno said:

Okay, thanks. Do you think I could move the live plants, snails, and rocks to a 2.5g I have and then leave the fish and the heater and sponge filter in the 5g to do the salt and maracyn?

It would be easier if you just moved the fish to the 2.5 gallon. They will do fine in a 2.5 gallon for a week or two. Just keep up on the waterchanges to make sure you amonia/ nitrites are down.

Yeah, I'm just worried the sponge filter may be too tall for the 2.5 gallon lol, I've heard though that maracyn is snail and live plant safe, if I used that instead of salt would I be able to keep everything in the 5 gallon? And would I have to just dose once and then not change the water for a week? or do I dose and then water change and then dose then water chance etc daily for a week?

Edited by rachaeljuno