Hello C.A.R.E. Givers,

So I was watching Michael's Fish Room and he mentioned freezing something called Repashy in a silicone ice cube tray. Have any of you use this with guppies?

I was thinking of ordering Repashy Soilent Green and this tray. <Insert Soylent Green joke here>

Is this a good Repashy for my guppies? If there is something better, I would love suggestions. Right now I'm feeding them Hikari Tropical Fancy Guppy Fish Food and some Aqueon Fish flake occasionally (mostly for a change of pace).

I have a poorly stocked Petsmart near me but no local shops, so I've been using Amazon. I hope posting these links are ok, if not I'd be happy to remove them, they aren't affiliate or anything. Also, if there is a better online vendor, someone supportive of the hobby, please let me know and I'll order from them happily.

Also is this Repashy thing overkill for someone like me who is still very much a novice? I've read some about hatching brine shrimp, but I was a little intimidated, and I don't think I have the population (~10 babies and another ~10 adults) yet to warrant it.  

Thank you for reading this! I hope you all have a good week!

Aquarium Co-Op sells repashy soilent green:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/repashy-soilent-green 

Would suggest to get it from the co-op instead of amazon because if something happens to the package during tranit, aquarium co-op will look after it where as amazon not so much.

I haven't fed repashy to guppies, but heres a video cory did on repashy:

Repashy is good as it can be fed to fry (The powderd stuff not sure about the gel stuff, the powder is how you make the gell)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Repashy seems too good not to try 🙂 I don't think it's overkill. 

(Yeah, also Amazon is kind of not a particularly nice enterprise while Aquarium Co-Op is EDIT: but then again it seems Cory only ships to Canada by Amazon!)

Edited by darkG
  • Like 1

I use both Soilent Green and Community Plus for my live bearers and they love it. I'm totally hooked on using Repashy foods. I buy mine from the Co-Op rather than Amazon (I usually check them first whenever I need something just because I prefer to support them).

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add that I just make it inside a tupperware container and use a knife to cut it into little squares. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Like 1

I also use Repashy for guppies--I've been using the Community plus but would eventually like to add Soilent Green for variety (when I have another order to put in).  It's SUPER easy to make, you can make as much or as little as you want, it stores for about a week in the fridge, and my guppies (esp. the females for some reason) go NUTS for it.  It's definitely less intimidating than brine shrimp!  I had some little silicone candy molds lying around and usually use that to set it in--they make particularly nice seashell shapes and seem to be a good size for my group.

I actually don't like Repashy for my guppies. The main reason is that they like to feed at the top, and it takes them longer to figure out where the repashy is (on the bottom.) Don't get me wrong, they will find it eventually and they'll eat it. But I like floating foods (especially Bug Bites, Xtreme Krill, and the Xtreme spirulina) because it spreads throughout the tank and the little guys can have a chance to eat (the big ones often get in the way when feeding Repashy.) 

Will Repashy work? Yes. Could I feed it in a feeder or similar floating thing? Yes. But for me, flake food is easier, better distributed, and with an equally good outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I actually don't like Repashy for my guppies. The main reason is that they like to feed at the top, and it takes them longer to figure out where the repashy is (on the bottom.) Don't get me wrong, they will find it eventually and they'll eat it. But I like floating foods (especially Bug Bites, Xtreme Krill, and the Xtreme spirulina) because it spreads throughout the tank and the little guys can have a chance to eat (the big ones often get in the way when feeding Repashy.) 

Will Repashy work? Yes. Could I feed it in a feeder or similar floating thing? Yes. But for me, flake food is easier, better distributed, and with an equally good outcome.

My favorite thing about Repashy is that it stays stable in the water for hours so they can feed on it for a long time. I do agree that it takes them a minute to find it though.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:06 AM, KaitieG said:

my guppies (esp. the females for some reason) go NUTS for it.

I’ve noticed that my female guppies are MUCH more aggressive feeders than the males. Doesn’t matter what kind of food or where it is, they find and attack it really quickly and wildly. Even quite large algae wafers they break apart and consume at an alarming rate. I kind of like the females more because of that even though they aren’t “man pretty” like the males. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm curious about trying repashy for my livebearers as well. I'd probably do the Community blend for omnivores like them. But they like Aquarium Co-op's Easy Fish and Fry Food so much that I don't know if any other food will hold a candle to it. I especially love how adults and fry can all eat it.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:06 AM, KaitieG said:

I had some little silicone candy molds lying around and usually use that to set it in--they make particularly nice seashell shapes and seem to be a good size for my group.

I also use candy molds when making Repashy for my guppies. 🤓 Sometimes, I mix in Drosophila flies and larvae for a treat. For me, Drosophila are easier to culture than brine shrimp or other aquatic live foods. Also, molding the bugs in gel helps reduce waste from uneaten bugs drifting down into the gravel. My mutt guppies live with Neocaridina and various snails. Everyone grazes at all levels, on a variety of foods—brine shrimp, bloodworms, krill, flake food, Repashy, Drosophila flies/larvae, dried mulberry and grape leaves, squash, green beans, pollen, yeast. Haha, I guess they are pretty spoiled!

20210206_121741_900x1200px.jpg.151b98e34b2389d81e3f67ebd6ec03da.jpg