kuhli loaches with Flourite substrate?

deflated_souffle

Hello all! I've just about finished cycling my 10 gallon tank, it's planted, contains a few hides, heated and has a sponge filter.

We've decided on a betta, but would also like Kuhli loaches, I have flourite red substrate, would that be ok for them or should I consider something else?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

When dealing with kuhli loaches, they are similar yet just a bit different to a cory dora, or other bottom feeders. Most bottom feeders swim near the bottom and scavenge for food on and in your substrate (aka they are diggers) kuhli loaches however are a bit different from their larger cousins in that not only do they dig, they burrow. They are generally nocturnal by nature, and when they do swim out of the substrate they hide a lot. With this in mind i am usually a bit more picky with my substrate and try to go for smoother, more round, polished, substrate. If it has sharp edges its not the best for kuhli loaches. Also if i use gravel i try to stick with smaller diameter gravel. Larger gravel can sometimes be harder for them to move through. 

10 hours ago, Will Billy said:

When dealing with kuhli loaches, they are similar yet just a bit different to a cory dora, or other bottom feeders. Most bottom feeders swim near the bottom and scavenge for food on and in your substrate (aka they are diggers) kuhli loaches however are a bit different from their larger cousins in that not only do they dig, they burrow. They are generally nocturnal by nature, and when they do swim out of the substrate they hide a lot. With this in mind i am usually a bit more picky with my substrate and try to go for smoother, more round, polished, substrate. If it has sharp edges its not the best for kuhli loaches. Also if i use gravel i try to stick with smaller diameter gravel. Larger gravel can sometimes be harder for them to move through. 

how deep do they burrow?

6 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

so could i do a 1 1/5 of sand over eco complete

I think that would be fine. They might mix up the substrate just a little bit, but shouldnt be to bad. In that case it might be better off to have 6 or more (tank size depending). If you only have 2 or 3 they are more shy and burrow more. In a larger group they are more confident it seems, and more likely for you to observe them swimming in the water.