Aquarium kits vs piecemeal (for quarantine/growout)

Kelly S

I'm thinking of getting another tank for growing molly fry and/or a spare quarantine tank. What are your thoughts/experiences regarding aquarium kits? Seems like it could be an economical way to go, unless I'm just going to get frustrated and replace all of the kit components anyway. I don't expect to want to get fancy with lighting on it, but I don't know anything about the kits' heaters, filters, etc. Thanks for your input!

I always piece them together to spread out the expense. I just get something for it here and there so I don't feel like I'm dropping a ton of money at a time. Also that way I can get exactly what I want, as opposed to what the kit includes. For example I will always want very specific filters, and none of the ones I want are ever in a kit, etc.

The light can be the expensive part of buying piecemeal, and if it is a one piece light/hood, that's the part I'd be concerned about. In my minibow, the light got wet just from the teeny little filter flow, and stopped working. Other than the cost of a separate light, you can buy everything piecemeal, of the same quality/brand, but with a glass lid, for about $30 more.