Your thoughts on Mystery Snails

FrozenFins

I have never owned mystery snails in the past. Infact I have always tried to stay away from snails (except nirites) because of how often they breed. 

Well... I decided I would pick up 1 mystery snail from my lfs to help with the algae problem in my betta tank. All the mystery snail has done is be ANOYING. He decided to dig up my monte carlo, hasn't even ate a spec of algae. I'm thinking of moving him to community tank because the plants in there have bigger roots, so it would be harder to dig up. 

I was wondering what your thought of mystery snails are?

I mean I find them cute, but just really annoying.

• Haha 2

Awww. Yeah I think nerites are going to be your go to if you really want a snail that will eat algae. Snails like mysteries and ramshorns do some work but they're not the same kind of cleaning powerhouse a nerite is (though nerites leave all those little white eggs). To me, mysteries are a snail you have as a pet and less as utility. And because of their size, they do bulldoze through plants that might not be firmly rooted. 

Personally I love them, and I'm a bit obsessed atm as I recently purchased a bunch and am growing them out to breed. 

I've always considered mystery snails to be more of an ornamental snail than a worker snail.  I believe I've read that their radula are much weaker than say a nerite snail which is why they have a tougher time scraping algae off glass and decor. 

They are beautiful, but they don't seem to be all that good at keeping algae at bay, etc. More of a pet than a pest.

Also, don't be afraid of snails. Snails are awesome. 😃

I had $80 in aquarium plants decimated by my heard of mystery snails. Came in one morning and there were a bunch of pots with empty rock wool. 🙄 and as others mentioned they aren't work horses when it comes to algae, they are too bougie to do any work. 🤣🤣

However, what they lack in work ethic they make up for with personality. By far the most enjoyable to watch. 

• Like 1

I can concur first hand, that mystery snails are mostly ornamental. I have 2 in my 55 gallon nano community tank. My algae didnt start disappearing until i had some bladder snails (aka pest snails) hitch hike in on some plants i purchased. Ever since bladder snails are now my favorite for my tank setup. I have a few schools of different nano fish, and now a community of bladder snails crawling around that fit my nano motif. I cant remember the last time i had to scrape algae off my front glass, they are that good at eating algae. My mystery snails still lumber around eating something, not sure what, except fish food and algae wafers maybe. 

• Like 1

@James Black, I have a lot of Mystery Snails in my planted aquariums.  My "trick" is many Marimo Moss Balls & feeding the snails well.  These snails don't seem to be much of an issue for me regarding plants, overall, if they are well fed.  Personally, I feed algae wafers, crab cuisine, Repashy & other homemade foods.  

My bladder snails & Nerites are much better "cleaners" though.  🐌🐌 🐌 🐌🐌