Equilibrium vs wonder shell

Will Billy

I've used both to raise the GH and overall mineral content in my aquariums because plants and livebearers don't like my naturally soft tap water. The packaging on Wonder Shells says it has other additional benefits, like removing chlorine, purifying water, and clearing cloudy water, but I haven't tested it. The reason why I use Equilibrium nowadays is because of the form factor - it's easier to measure out a certain amount of powder and know that it will raise my dGH by an exact amount. My main complaint about Equilibrium is that the powder doesn't dissolve as readily and can make your tank water cloudy if you add too much all at once, so I usually just dose smaller amounts over time until I reach my desired GH level.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Irene said:

My main complaint about Equilibrium is that the powder doesn't dissolve as readily and can make your tank water cloudy if you add too much all at once

This is why I stopped using Equilibrium. I do pretty frequent water changes (weekly, and twice weekly in my guppy grow-outs), so I have since switched to liquid GH boosters with a pump top -- even easier than the scooping, and no powdery residue.

Another difference between wondershell and Equilibrium is potassium, which is in the latter but not the former I don't think.

• Like 1

I fill up a big 55 gallon barrel with water and add equilibrium. I let a giant airstone bubble in it for a day or so.. and then when I'm ready to do a water change it's all dissolved and also the same temp of my fish room. Also if it's too high I can add my soft tap water slowly to lower it. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

Another difference between wondershell and Equilibrium is potassium, which is in the latter but not the former I don't think.

I think that's backwards.  Equilibrium has potassium I know for sure, and a tiny bit of iron.  It raises GH and adds some plant focused minerals too.  I only use a small amount to get my GH from 3 to 6 and it mostly dissolves but there's always a tiny bit of dust left at the bottom of my pitcher, which is brown/redish I assume its the iron not dissolving well but who knows. 

18 minutes ago, Irene said:

@StephenP2003 Ooo, I'm all for easier. What brand do you like best for liquid GH?

I use AquaVitro Mineralize. AquaVitro is a seachem brand, but it's reserved for retail stores only, so you can't buy it online. Luckily my LFS carries it, so I just get the 4L container of it for 80 bucks and it lasts me a little less than a year (and that's with me doing weekly water changes to 9 planted tanks, with 0 GH out of my tap). Save one of your empty co-op easy iron/carbon/green bottles and dose it that way. It only adds calcium and magnesium, in some sort of magic ratio that's supposedly good for planted tanks.

If I couldn't get the AquaVitro brand for any reason, I'd order the NilocG regen, which is basically the same thing but only available in the 500ml pump bottle.

Edited by StephenP2003
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, Irene said:

I've used both to raise the GH and overall mineral content in my aquariums because plants and livebearers don't like my naturally soft tap water. The packaging on Wonder Shells says it has other additional benefits, like removing chlorine, purifying water, and clearing cloudy water, but I haven't tested it. The reason why I use Equilibrium nowadays is because of the form factor - it's easier to measure out a certain amount of powder and know that it will raise my dGH by an exact amount. My main complaint about Equilibrium is that the powder doesn't dissolve as readily and can make your tank water cloudy if you add too much all at once, so I usually just dose smaller amounts over time until I reach my desired GH level.

Hi I saw your video on YouTube about ph, GH, and KH! I was wondering if you use both wonder shells and equilibrium at the same time or separate? 
I am in Washington state as well and have low GH and KH. 
thanks,

Jon

On 4/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, Patrick_G said:

Do you all find that you’re getting some minor turbidity and fine particulate that lasts days after using Equilibrium?

I have noticed this, even under the recommendation of premixing it up in treated water before adding to the tank. It eventually does go away, and premixing helps it go away faster. I have yet to try wondershell, but from other peoples experience it does not do this, at least at any noticeable levels anyway. 

• Like 1

I've found pre-mixing equilibrium in a smaller quantity (large pot worth) of boiling water helps increase the solubility to the point that most all of it dissolves with some vigorous stirring, then I top up my container (20L cooler jug) with cold tap water, add pH buffer and dechlorinator, then put a small power head in, and let it circulate for a good while before using it. My largest tank is only 57L (flex15), so I can get away with just using a 5gallon water cooler for changes.