Nitrites finally at zero!

Mariac007

Plants would lower your nitrates. If you're nervous, you could wait another day just to be sure ammonia and nitrite stays at 0 and if any nitrate shows up. When you do add your fish, you can not feed for a couple of days and then slowly ramp up feeding to make extra darn sure the system can handle it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Plants would lower your nitrates. If you're nervous, you could wait another day just to be sure ammonia and nitrite stays at 0 and if any nitrate shows up. When you do add your fish, you can not feed for a couple of days and then slowly ramp up feeding to make extra darn sure the system can handle it. 

Thank you! I may wait another day and see if the levels are the same! 

What kind of test kit are you using?  I struggle to read mine because I often can’t tell the colors apart.  I’ve been using Tetra 5 in 1 strips as a cross reference, but this looks like one I might be able to read with more confidence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaurieinIA said:

What kind of test kit are you using?  I struggle to read mine because I often can’t tell the colors apart.  I’ve been using Tetra 5 in 1 strips as a cross reference, but this looks like one I might be able to read with more confidence. 

I use the API freshwater master test kit! I find it to be pretty accurate and have read good things about it. Kind of expensive but worth it in my opinion! Ived used test striped before and they were always hard to tell what exactly they indicated lol

image.jpg

Edited by Mariac007

1 hour ago, Mariac007 said:

I use the API freshwater master test kit! I find it to be pretty accurate and have read good things about it. Kind of expensive but worth it in my opinion! Ived used test striped before and they were always hard to tell what exactly they indicated lol

image.jpg

Thanks!  I agree that the “range” on the strips is pretty broad, but at least I can tell if stuff is within acceptable limits. My LFS has been great with doing tests for me, too. Between the 3 methods, I know my stats are good, but it can be inconvenient.

I can’t recall the brand of mine, but I think I’ll try this one when I need to get a new one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaurieinIA said:

Thanks!  I agree that the “range” on the strips is pretty broad, but at least I can tell if stuff is within acceptable limits. My LFS has been great with doing tests for me, too. Between the 3 methods, I know my stats are good, but it can be inconvenient.

I can’t recall the brand of mine, but I think I’ll try this one when I need to get a new one. 

Yea I’m sure you’ve got a pretty accurate range of you’re using two ways to test