Nannacara anomola vs Corydoras

Paul

Someone in an Apistogramma forum I’m in claims that Nannacara anomola goes out of it’s way to kill cory’s. Have any of you seen or heard of any dwarf cichlids in general or anomola in particular exhibiting this behavior?

20571231-4A89-407D-B6F3-F59313BEDE82.jpeg

Edited by Paul

I have a breeding pair in a 40 gallon and they appear to be leaving my gang of 12 panda corys alone.  We thought there was some fin nipping going on, but it turned out to be a false alarm.   

That was weeks ago and even with fry in the tank, they've been leaving the corys alone unless they get too nosy.  I planned the tank with the intention to keep a dwarf cichlid pair, so there are lots of little hiding places.  That may help.  

The advice I hear is that it works or doesn't.  It all depends on the individual fish.

Edited by ForestJenn
Insomnia and coherent thought don't always go hand in hand.

This can happen but I’ve found it more relates to tank size and cover or hiding spots in the tank. A pair of dwarf cichlids with cories in a ten gallon tank doesn’t give enough room for the cories to be chased away from the spawning site. Compare that to the same in a twenty gallon long and there is much more real estate for the cories to escape to. Most fish aren’t really trying to kill an intruder into their territory they are just trying to chase it out  of sight.

Thanks ForestJenn & Dean. The person who made this claim never put any context into his statement. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was breeding them in a small tank with parents that were very aggressive in defense of their fry.