Substrate for Corydora ??

Johnno

I am setting up two new planted community tanks, which I want to have Corys included.. 

Can I use Seachem Flourite as my substrate or is it to rough for the Corys?   

If the standard Flourite is too rough, can I use Flourite Sand ?

thanks

john

Edited by Johnno

John, I hope that you don't mind me jumping in as I am in the same place as you.

I am setting a 100gl tank and would like to have Corys in it. I plan to use a plant growth substrate made by Tropica (a Danish company), they instruct to cap the substrate with gravel, however I have read that gravel is not recommended for Corys, so the question is if fine gravel of 0.039" - 0.12" (1mm - 3mm) is acceptable?

Thank you

Edited by BenA

Sharp substrate was touched upon during an Aquarium Co-Op video. Using that as a guide I don't think that Flourite is especially sharp like cracked sand and would fall into the "It's OK" category. The limiting factor here might be which plants you might have and/or how many. Those little critters might enjoy digging up your carefully placed plants. 

• Like 1

I've had panda cories in two types of substrate without any issues or injuries: smooth, small riverbed gravel and black aquarium "sand" which actually looks like really small, fine gravel (doesn't look like sand - it's a bigger granule). They're doing awesome! The "sand" is easy for them to move around and work through. I really like it. They can't move the bigger gravel, but they are injury free!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Theresa_M said:

I've had panda cories in two types of substrate without any issues or injuries: smooth, small riverbed gravel and black aquarium "sand" which actually looks like really small, fine gravel (doesn't look like sand - it's a bigger granule). They're doing awesome! The "sand" is easy for them to move around and work through. I really like it. They can't move the bigger gravel, but they are injury free!

Thank you Theresa.

Saw your reply early morning, this gave me an idea. The back of the aquarium was laid with plant substrate and was covered with small riverbed gravel of about 0.11", then a line running diagonally starting about 5" at the back and ends about 10" of the front at the opposite side, then we have used 3 different colures of sand to have a washup effect from the darker colure of gravel to the golden sand, looks quite nice.

We had to visit 3 shops to get the gravel sand and substrate, busy weekend it was.

Thanks again. 

Edited by BenA
  • Like 1

There was a previous thread somewhat similar to this. @Cory made a valid point in this thread, that often food is the biggest issue. With regards to tiny pellets and bits of flakes that fall into the cracks of gravel, the cory dora will dig down up to their eyeballs chasing the food vs something a bit larger that will stay on top of the substrate. Im paraphrasing here, but here is a link to that thread for some food for thought.