20-1.jpg.0bdf49a84f2aa45572868ff3b5f6153a.jpg

My 20 long is finally ready for fish.

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-30ish

pH-8.1

KH-240 maxed out the strip

GH-18 maxed out the strip

A Marineland Pro 125 and a medium CoOp sponge for filtration.

I have a few characteristics in mind but would like help finding the fish fulfills them.

Something that tops out in the 3 inch range, I only plan to have 6-8 in the tank.

Not aggressive, but active.

Pretty but not flashy.

I kind of don’t want to deal with livebearers and lots of babies.

Probably the only tankmates will be Hillstream Loaches, and whether I want them or not, snails.

I'd like to hear your personal experiences.

What am I looking for?

I was all ready to suggest you duplicate the stocking in my 20 long with sparkling gouramis, celestial pearl danios, and pygmy corys, until I saw you want larger and fewer fish.

Since that's the case, maybe a single school of one of the mid-sized tetras, like lemon, serpae, or pristella?  Or a group of honey gouramis?

• Like 2

Rainbow shiners with hillstream loaches is what I have in my 20 and I love it!  Both are cooler water and enjoy stronger filtration.  Shiners are active, look really good and are hardy.  I also have cherry shrimp in mine and they do quite well also.  With your rock piles you could easily pull this off. 

• Like 1

@Ken hi what a lovely tank, I would stock it with 6-8 danios like of a zebra or leopard variety, I recommend these fish because in my experience they like a twenty long because it gives them the room to swim. I would not get these if you don’t want something fast or flashy, since danios want to dart around and some when the light hits them can actually “flashy.” If this tank is in the living room that can be really cool but places like in your bedroom can be really annoying. Best of luck, please upload pictures when it’s done!

• Like 1

I like the suggestion above or threadfin rainbows. 

Another thought would be a group of bigger body tetras like black skirts, bleeding heart or diamond tetras. I've never personally kept them but I think the diamonds would really pop in that tank. 

Edited by MAC
Really like those yellow rocks by the way.
  • Like 2

So many good suggestions! I second the danios suggestion, but keep in mind there are different types than the plain zebra danio. For example, I have kyatgit danios, which I really like.

Tetras are a good one too, and I am a fan of pencilfish, but those may be a tad small.

What about emperor tetras? They have these cool blue and yellow eyes that can really stand out, and they are also a larger tetra.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ElTigre said:

A dream fish of mine is a chocolate gourami.  I think it would look awesome in that scape with maybe some corys on the bottom and a small group of chili rasboras while the gourami would be the star of the show!

chocolate-gourami.jpg

That really is stunning. I wonder if you could keep a small group in a 20 long. I know nothing about gouramis. Aren't  they quarrelsome?

4 hours ago, brighamthatcher said:

for some reason my first thought is glowlight tetras. they could look pretty good in that tank.

They would, the lighting and background would really make them pop. I have Glowlight Rasboras (Rasbora Hengeli) in a tank a couple feet away from this one . They are quite similar to the glowlight tetras and really pretty little guys. Here's a not so good picture I just took.hengeli.jpg.bb29c04fc7349769f181cc3899ad166e.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ken said:

That really is stunning. I wonder if you could keep a small group in a 20 long. I know nothing about gouramis. Aren't  they quarrelsome?

You're probably thinking of dwarf gouramis or 3-spot gouramis (blue and gold), which certainly can be.  Other species, like honey gouramis and pearl gouramis, are much less aggressive, and are suitable for community tanks, and can be kept in groups of their own species.  They're great fish.

• Thanks 1