African dwarf frog stays at the waterline

JessTheMess92

So I have 3 african dwarf frogs in my community tank. I believe 2 are female and 1 is male. The last few days I've noticed the male has mostly been up in my hornwort near or at the surface sometimes he will keep just his head above the surface. I just want to make sure this is normal. He doesn't seem like he's in distress. He's still swimming down and getting food. The tank is pretty heavily planted ammonia and nitrite are at 0 nitrates are at like 5. I feed a mix of flakes granules frozen food freeze dried foods. I have never seen the females do this the most they do is float around the surface for a couple minutes but he's up there for pretty long stretches. I'm assuming it's fine I just want to make sure I keep on top of it if there is an issue. Thanks

16125837261853896614413348548739.jpg

20210205_194337.jpg

• 4 months later...

I hope your ADF are all still doing well. And I know this post is now old but my male loves to do this as well. Everytime I see him up there I whip out some treats and a pipette and hand feed him. I think they just like chilling up there sometimes. But I definitely thought he was tangled or something the first time or two I saw him do that.