Dwarf Gourami Breeding Set Up

Fish Folk

Several months ago, we asked our LFS to order 4x female dwarf Gourami. Some fish keepers have never seen females, since most all that sells seem to be the brightly colored males. We’ve been giving them the royal treatment... lots of live food and frozen entree’s. They’re in a very wild, well-seasoned tank. Lots of duckweed, wisteria, pothos roots, etc. Then just a week or two ago, we popped in a divider, and brought home a colorful male. He’s now gearing up, getting used to our water, eating lots of healthy foods. The plan is to remove 3x females, and then move the male across the divider. Short video below. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mako13 said:

Did they ever breed?

I think so. But not sure. He built a bubble nest, and every 2x weeks builds it up and gets vigilant. Never have seen them embracing. But she seems to lose girth (eggs) around that time. Next time this is apparent, we’ll try pulling the whole nest out. 

4 minutes ago, FishMonger said:

Curious, how would you "pull the nest out"?

Take a small storage container of some sort, and gently lower it underneath the nest, and lift it all up in tact. Use that for fry to hatch, or move that to another place and gently release.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 11.32.50 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miss keeping DGs, never had females but the two males I had would still build nests and swim around carrying java moss in their mouths. This looks fun, after some trial and error of course, hope you have success!

• Like 1

Alrighty! Our male Dwarf Gourami commenced with the production of his finest bubble nest yet. Let them alone a few days, but now it’s time to assess. Fry remain from what we pulled before. I’m seeing about 6 or so. But already, a few fry are visible in the adult side of the tank. So this time, instead of moving the bubble nest, I’m moving the parents. It is a well-established tank, so I’m hopeful enough micro life will abound to sustain DG fry. They are really tiny! DG BAP ON!! Here’s a short video just before they were moved...

• Like 2

Moved the breeding pair to another 20 gal long already housing 3x more female dwarf Gouramis. The male is... let’s say... very busy! Watch this. Look for all of the yellow eggs. Unreal. If these survive, this is going to be insane.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Yay! Are you feeding them infusoria or just letting them find food on whatever’s in the tank?

Letting them eat what they find. Adults removed. It’s a very established tank, two sponge filters. Plus, feeding some vinegar eels and using Dean’s concept with a dry paintbrush dipped in New Life Spectrum Fry powder, and then tapped off into the water. 

• Like 2