Help me redesign my 20g high tank!

missriss126

Guys, I'm sure I'm not the only person who set up a tank, let it run for a few months, and then really just not be happy with that tank. Well, that happened to me and my 20 gallon high tank.

The Plan: planted tank, cool piece of spider wood, lots of floating guppy grass, some crypts, some val/dwarf sag in background. Stocked with guppies, albino cory cats, and cherry shrimp. 

What I got: the guppy grass I scored locally was FULL of bladder and ramshorn snails. At first this was great, I have a pea puffer, so I just plucked out a few snails here and there for that puffer, and all was hunky dory. The crypts completely melted back and haven't started thriving yet, the val died, the dwarf sag is barely holding in there, all the guppy grass just started disappearing, despite all the fish/snail waste and ferts, and the tank just looked.... sad. 

So, yesterday I gutted the tank essentially. Removed all floating plants, the hardscape, did a huge water change, and physically removed as many snails as I could before my hands got prune-y 😆. Which leaves me here: natural gravel, root systems of two crypts that I am crossing my fingers for, and what was labeled as dwarf sag but I think might be val in the back. I added a little cave type decoration that I had in my supplies and some trimmings from my Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus left floating around to give the guppy fry a place to hang out. 

I need your help! My fiancee and I were thinking we would like to just have rock as hard scape, and tons of live plants. If I can make it work I'd love a thick patch of crypts on the left side of the tank where the flow is higher from my HOB. Other than that I am totally open to other plant scape ideas! I would be thrilled if the cherry shrimp and the corys would breed in this tank. I'm not loving the guppies and would like to have other fish that would add some more color and interest to the tank. 

I included some pics for reference, this tank is located in the middle of my living space, so fish that aren't too shy and okay with lots of activity in the room are preferred. I have hard water, ph 7.6.

• Like 1

I don't think the pictures got added - there's a plus button that appears on the images after you've uploaded them...be sure to click the plus to add the images to your post!  I am super excited to see what you're working with!!!  Your tank and ideas sound wonderful!! 😄

canvas.png.bcac4b6a4d7cbc9708418fcbe6a1dde0.png

The stellatus octopus is a very yellow green...something deep green might look nice while you wait for your crypts to take off!  I love a planted tank that's got a variety of different colors/shades! 

Edited by Betsy
Clarity...the first time I didn't make much sense...haha!
  • Like 1

Sorry I forgot the pics! Also threw a fake plant I had laying around in there to make it look a bit more full. 

I don’t wish to change from the gravel substrate if possible, I have top fin sand in all my other tanks and wanted something a bit different! 
What plants? What to stock with my neocaridina shrimp and albino Cory cats?

CE942F36-624D-4153-A02A-56D5C5E43749.jpeg

ABF2FC9E-2D4F-4126-849B-732246B0C225.jpeg

62660100-96C3-4D6D-8A40-7227F84B50EC.jpeg

I would say simply play with your hardscape you have, and then I would add lots of java fern. I don't know if it is just me or is it harder to grow plants in larger gravel. I find finer gravel is better, if you do get some new gravel, I would think black gravel would look cool against the corys and plants. I would recommend honey gourami as some other fish to add. I have 3 and they get along just fine and are so fun to watch! However remember, they are gouramis and since your tank is a bit smaller than what I have my honey gourami in I would add lots of line of site blocks. Yay, more plants! 

Hope you have fun with the new scape!

• Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 9:47 PM, FriendlyLoach said:

I would say simply play with your hardscape you have, and then I would add lots of java fern. I don't know if it is just me or is it harder to grow plants in larger gravel. I find finer gravel is better, if you do get some new gravel, I would think black gravel would look cool against the corys and plants. I would recommend honey gourami as some other fish to add. I have 3 and they get along just fine and are so fun to watch! However remember, they are gouramis and since your tank is a bit smaller than what I have my honey gourami in I would add lots of line of site blocks. Yay, more plants! 

Hope you have fun with the new scape!

I have noticed I struggle with plants in gravel, too! 

I might mix some top fin black sand in with gravel, I think the hints of natural rock would look kind of neat! My fiancée loves gouramis!