I believe that I have vorticella in my 5 gallon Neocaridina tank.  I have noticed it only on the plants and not the animals, so I have removed as many floating plants, etc. where I could see it.  Since discovering it, I have also taken out the 3 snails that were in there.  In researching, I decided to go with API's Pimafix for one week, and thus also added an extra sponge filter for aeration.  The current inhabitants are 9 shrimp and 4 zebra danio fry.  Have you had any luck with eradicating vorticella?  My guess is that it came in on one of the shrimp (one recently died), as I do weekly 25% water changes, so I don't think this is from a dirty tank.  Any advice is appreciated, however, I am not willing to treat with something that can potentially kill the shrimp.

21 minutes ago, vividjs24 said:

Have you had any luck with eradicating vorticella?  My guess is that it came in on one of the shrimp (one recently died), as I do weekly 25% water changes, so I don't think this is from a dirty tank.  Any advice is appreciated, however, I am not willing to treat with something that can potentially kill the shrimp.

If your experience is like mine, those zebra danio fry will eat the vorticella as they grow and get larger.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, vividjs24 said:

I guess my question is...will they grow fast enough to eat it before it kills the shrimp!?

I know other people have had different experiences, but Vorticella have never killed any of my shrimp. If that is a common occurrence, it sure isn't for me.

• 1 year later...