Can Cory’s eat ember tetras?

PattysAquatics

I have 5 emerald green Cory’s in a 75 gallon with 24 ember tetras. It’s hard to try to count them all but I looks like I could be short some and haven’t found dead bodies. Other tank mates are cardinal tetras, swabwa barb,kubotai rasboras, green fire tetras, Siamese algae eater and bristlenose plecos. It’s entirely possible they are in there, my tank is heavily planted but would Cory’s eat them? 

2 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I have 5 emerald green Cory’s in a 75 gallon with 24 ember tetras. It’s hard to try to count them all but I looks like I could be short some and haven’t found dead bodies. Other tank mates are cardinal tetras, swabwa barb,kubotai rasboras, green fire tetras, Siamese algae eater and bristlenose plecos. It’s entirely possible they are in there, my tank is heavily planted but would Cory’s eat them? 

In my experience, Corydoras don't each any other fish (I've kept C. paleatus, C. aeneus, C. venezuelanus, C. trilineatus, and C. pygmaeus). Their main food in the wild is worms and insects in the riverbed, and only occasionally the already dead bodies of other fish. So what might have happened is that your ember tetras died (maybe of disease, something like that?) and the emerald green cories ate the bodies before you could find them. I haven't kept emerald green cories (Brochis splendens) yet though, so maybe they do occasionally eat other fish, as they are of a different genus and are also much larger.

But, it might be that your ember tetras are alive, because a large group of tetras is always hard to count. Are there a lot of hiding spaces in the aquarium?

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

In my experience, Corydoras don't each any other fish (I've kept C. paleatus, C. aeneus, C. venezuelanus, C. trilineatus, and C. pygmaeus). Their main food in the wild is worms and insects in the riverbed, and only occasionally the already dead bodies of other fish. So what might have happened is that your ember tetras died (maybe of disease, something like that?) and the emerald green cories ate the bodies before you could find them. I haven't kept emerald green cories (Brochis splendens) yet though, so maybe they do occasionally eat other fish, as they are of a different genus and are also much larger.

But, it might be that your ember tetras are alive, because a large group of tetras is always hard to count. Are there a lot of hiding spaces in the aquarium?

Hope this helps.

Yeah there are lots of hiding spots. I’m sure they are in there . I’m just have been driving myself crazy trying to count them with all the other fish and is almost impossible 😂just didn’t seem like there were 24 anymore. Thank you 

• Like 1