Adjustable aquarium heater-newbie question

Lori

I need someone to tell me the best and safest adjustable aquarium heaters for small tanks. Two 10 gallons and a 20. I have preset aqueon heaters that just aren’t keeping the water Betta warm!  
ive heard horror stories about heaters cooking peoples fish, so I need a brand I can trust. 
thanks. 

i have tried several, including the german made adjustable Eheim which was very inconsistent.   The best most reliable heating has been a pair of inexpensive preset Fluval heaters coupled to an Inkbird thermostat. Thermostat is set for 77. Heaters  preset for 78. Redundancy and excess capacity provides some safety and consistency. 

40 minutes ago, Tetra Guy said:

The best most reliable heating has been a pair of inexpensive preset Fluval heaters coupled to an Inkbird thermostat. Thermostat is set for 77. Heaters  preset for 78. Redundancy and excess capacity provides some safety and consistency. 

This.  A heater+thermostat as one piece is a difficult thing to get right especially for cheap and especially when encased in something not very thermally conductive like glass.  It becomes a pretty trivial problem when you can move the temperature sensor away from the heater some.  The cheap non-digital heaters also use a bimetal thermostat which have a lot of hysteresis, but work great for a backup shutoff incase something goes wrong (for example your temperature sensor falls out of the water).