Hello! I'm Justin, and I'm returning to the hobby!

Hello everyone!

My name is Justin, and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm 30 years old and just got back into the hobby as I introduced my 10 year old to her first Betta fish. I used to keep fish with my father growing up as a child, and have always enjoyed the hobby. Of course, that was back in the 90s, and a ton of stuff I thought I knew and cool is now all old and washed up, like gravel bed filters hahahaha.

So now I've found myself returning to the hobby and wanting to learn as much as I can to help educate not only myself, but my children, and to also keep my fish happy and healthy! Once we move, we plan on getting a bigger tank to start our community tank, and I'm super happy about it.

Right now, we just have 2 Bettas and 2 Nerite Snails. The Bettas name's are Blueberry (Female) and Branch (Male), and the Snails are Bert and Ernie! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Hi Justin, welcome to the forum! Do post some pics, we'd love to see your bettas!

It's crazy how much has changed in the hobby, isn't it? Before I took a big break from it, I never saw live plants in pet stores, but now they're available pretty much everywhere that sells fish. And it's so great how much information is available online. 

Yes!!! Live plants were never a thing when I was last into it. Now, it's the only way I decorate my tanks! A lot of things have changed with Bettas too!

I remember growing up seeing them in the bottom half of a glass vase, a bowl, etc., now people actually care about their Bettas!

I've never had Bettas before, I usually always stuck with the usual pet store finds growing up, but a Betta has surprised me! They are literally dogs in water hahahaha.

I'll post some pictures here momentarily!

• Like 1

Blueberry is beautiful! I'm just a few days away from getting a betta and it could be either male or female depending on breed - the females of the breeds with very long, flowing fins are just stunning IMHO. I am happy to see another betta photo!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Blueberry is beautiful! I'm just a few days away from getting a betta and it could be either male or female depending on breed - the females of the breeds with very long, flowing fins are just stunning IMHO. I am happy to see another betta photo!

We love her! She's always keeping us entertained and smiling. She's more of a dog than a fish if I'm being honest hahaha.

• Haha 1