Hello from the Yoop!

Tamitha

I can best be described as a fish nerd by night, pet groomer by day, owned by three gorgeous basenjis and three fish tanks with number 4 in the planning stage. I love the science involved in keeping tanks. I love my day job but my tanks really get my brain engaged.

The dream of a lush planted tank got me back into fish keeping exactly two years ago. After much time, some tears, hair loss (from pulling it out), and patience (still a work in progress) I finally have success.

The nearest LFS is 100 miles, club 120 miles and I know of no one who keeps fish close by so I’m incredibly grateful to people like Cory for helping create such a fantastic community that I can be a part of!!

I hope I attached my pictures correctly...I suck at computers. Lol

AE0227BB-A21D-4FC9-8CCB-72C508A45E7C.jpeg

B9E3ACF9-870B-4B90-9250-92A4BE780A05.jpeg

2F6B5397-2649-4A48-9B64-8C07976F3906.jpeg

• Like 10

Thank you @Maggie! Honestly six months ago the tank in the first picture was nothing but algae. Bba, hair, green spot and probably several other I couldn’t identify. My key was finding locally sourced plants (although the crypts came from the co-op as did a couple of others) that were already growing in high ph, liquid rock water and I focused on growing the plants instead of fighting the algae. I do not dose ferts right now because I have excellent growth without dosing and if I dose it just brings on the algae.

Wow! Beautiful tanks! I have been horribly unsuccessful in keeping my 55 planted so I gave up and just went the plastic route. But I am planning to get a 10 or 15 for my office to try again and see if I have more luck with the smaller environment. My plan is several Kuhli loaches, possibly some snails and/or larger shrimp, and I think a Betta, but I haven't decided on the center piece fish yet. I'm just going to focus on successfully getting plants to grow first.