My buce (bucephalandra) has been melting like CRAZY! What's going on?!

Hi all, I recently bought some new buce to put on my driftwood and for about a few weeks it was doing good BUT then it started melting A BUNCH for no reason. I heard that newly introduced buce melts. Is that true? Is this normal? When will they recover? Thank you in advance. If you need more info about the tank, parameters, etc, let me know.

Edited by BettasAreSuperior

I've had times when moved I moved buce and it didn't melt and I've had times where it all melted but one leaf. I even had a time where it was growing and losing leaves at the same time so assuming that you are providing good fertilization (consistently too), you should be good. My buce was getting gigantic holes in each leaf one by one for a little longer than a month.

It probably was in very different water so the leaves it has now isn't suitable for your water/lighting. Keep an eye out for new growth and when you see that, you're golden. When I see new growth thats when I go and trim off all the ugly leaves to help push it along faster.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Koi said:

I've had times when moved I moved buce and it didn't melt and I've had times where it all melted but one leaf. I even had a time where it was growing and losing leaves at the same time so assuming that you are providing good fertilization (consistently too), you should be good. My buce was getting gigantic holes in each leaf one by one for a little longer than a month.

It probably was in very different water so the leaves it has now isn't suitable for your water/lighting. Keep an eye out for new growth and when you see that, you're golden. When I see new growth thats when I go and trim off all the ugly leaves to help push it along faster.

Thanks a bunch @Koi! Yes, I am provding good fertilization. They just turned clear and soggy. I propagated the leaves and they look really bare. Once again, thanks for the reassurance. Hopefully the new leaves will grow back soon. I just panicked since buce is slow-growing and "wasn't supposed to melt." 

👍🤞

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:10 PM, BettasAreSuperior said:

Heyo guys! So, I recently bought some new buce to put on my driftwood and for about a few weeks it was doing good BUT then it started melting A BUNCH for no reason. Irene, on her channel girl talks fish said newly introduced buce melts. Is that true? Is this normal? Thanks in adavnce! BTW, if you need more info about the tank, parameters, etc, Let me know!

Hi @BettasAreSuperior

Most Bucephalandra offered for sale are imported from Asia and are grown emersed (out of water) at plant nurseries or worse collected in the wild devastating the local environments.  Because they are grown emersed the leaves of the plants develop a thick cuticle layer to reduce the amount of water lost by the plant through transpiration (water loss through leaves).  Unfortunately the thick cuticle layer prevents the leaves of the plants from 'breathing' underwater.  So the plant will 'melt' the leaves, re-absorbing what nutrients it can in the process, and then grow new leaves adapted to living underwater without the thick cuticle layer.  Hope that helps! -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:41 PM, AcornTheBetta said:

I would think that this melt is pretty natural since the seller has different parameters than you... Just like the dwarf sag you have, I would give it some time an it will rebound. 

Yeah, I agree. They are a slow-growing plant so I got concerned but I think they're bouncing back, I am seeing a few, new small leaves on the buce! 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:21 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @BettasAreSuperior

Most Bucephalandra offered for sale are imported from Asia and are grown emersed (out of water) at plant nurseries or worse collected in the wild devastating the local environments.  Because they are grown emersed the leaves of the plants develop a thick cuticle layer to reduce the amount of water lost by the plant through transpiration (water loss through leaves).  Unfortunately the thick cuticle layer prevents the leaves of the plants from 'breathing' underwater.  So the plant will 'melt' the leaves, re-absorbing what nutrients it can in the process, and then grow new leaves adapted to living underwater without the thick cuticle layer.  Hope that helps! -Roy

Hey @Seattle_Aquarist

Informative! That did help, thank you! Got a mini lesson on plants melting, I am glad I got the science part of it. 

• Like 1