The Community Tank

FrozenFins

My 40 gallon community tank was in desparte need of a re-scape. It was discusting! All the plants died because of a green water issue that wouldn't go away. But now that the green water issue has been resolved, its time for plants! I asked you guys, what should I do for plants? (see the thread below:) and you guys gave me so MANY suggestions. 

I decided that I wanted to go with...

-Cryptacrone Wendetii in front of the wood

-Amazon Swords to perimeter the inside of the tank

-And then some rotala indica by the sponge filter

ITS GOING TO LOOK GREAT!!!

Since my lfs is more of a saltwater store they have a very limiting stock of plants. So I will have to get these plants overtime. But today I was able to pick up some cryptacorne wendetii red (see below)

Now what is this community tank stocked with?

-Angelfish x3

-Zebra Danios x6 (more coming soon)

-Cardinal Tetras x5 (more coming soon)

-Upside down catfish x2

-Bristlenose Pleco

Heres the cryptacorne wendetii planted:

image.png.a51aae5533ee7f724e13c29cf943bf2d.png

image.png.9a6d386f6120e143ee1d210b780603b2.png

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Nice tank! Is the crypt from one of your own tanks or a store since I haven't heard of a way to keep them from melting apart from cutting their leaves?

its from a store, I have only had it for a few hours so no melting back yet. 

Heres my latest dilemma:

-I saw some orange lazer corydoras at my lfs when I went to get the crypts. I haven't been able to get out of my mind how sweet some corycats would look in this tank. Only problem is I feel like I couldn't have the upside down catfish, the corycats and the pleco all in one tank. If I thought the corycats would be the last fish to go in the tank, I would go for it. But... I want more cardinal tetras and danios. 

-So here are my options...

-Get rid of the two upside down catfish and get 4-6 corycats

-Don't add anymore fish , and have the corycats be the last fish put in the tank

-Keep the upside down catfish and forget about the corycats

-I would like to hear any options or ideas you may have too

Here is a picture of them:

image.png.048d0eb98cd1e9f807b629c20b0f5fae.pngimage.png.91894aa811f6cace2faa6d7811bf1a42.pngimage.png.11494ba85f9a8f6cc25c49b56cfff140.png 

I can never get the two catfish in the same shot, but I can assure that there is two.

They tend to hide a lot and they like to barry them seleves underneath the spongefilter. I rarely see them not hiding, all though sometimes they will come out to scavange for food. They are super cute in my opinion. If I do decide to give them back, I am defentley getting them again! Perhaps in the future when I have a bigger tank. I thought I would also mention that they have history of digging up plants. I dont think on purpose, but because the plant is where they want to "perch".

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, where to start...

I woke up to one of my angelfish dead :classic_sad:. His name was Bruce Wayne and was a black viel tale, loved him. I suspect the other two angels bullied him to death. But on the bright side the other two angels are showing signs of breeding! So Thats fun!

Today was frozen foods friday, and me being my lazy self I didn't want to cute a cube of frozen blood worms in half so I fed an entire cube, and now my danios are fat. Or maybe they are pregnet? wouldn't that be something danios and angelfish breeding in the same tank. jk I dont think they are pregnet.

Edited by James Black
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't posted in this thread much, but heres what I'm thinking:

For this tank because I don't have a nutrient riched substrate I want plants such as anubius, Java Fern, etc. I still have the crypts in there but for whatever reason they are not growing back regardless of the amount of root tabs I feed them. I want to get some java fern and glue them to my drift wood. I am not sure about anubias. I have also never kept rhizome plants like, Bucephalandra or bolbitus.

I have decided not to go with my original plan which was a bunch of amazon swords, crypts, rotala indica

• Like 2

Soo... Every Thursday I fast all my fish. Then on the following Friday I will spoil them with frozen foods.

Well... My angels being pigs and never wanting to fast, they didn't. They ate ANOTHER (Thats 6 Cardinal Tetas that they have eatin) Cardinal Tetra. 

Well, I thought I would show a picture of my fish coming out for frozen blood worms. The Upside Down Catfish were out, but then scurryed away when I stuck a camera in their face.

image.png.4175fa284e1c5f52f54b2718a89bb340.png

I may be a bit mad at the angelfish but none the less, I'll get over it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing has really been happening to the community tank in the last little while...

The Bristlenose Pleco has been VERY food aggressive and is fighting every fish when they get to close to his pellets/ algae wafers. He HATES the upside down catfish. So we'll see what will happend. I want to get some corydoras soon, not sure if its for this tank or for a tank I am currently planing. If it was going to be in this tank the pleco would defentley have to go.

I want to make a trip to the LFS soon, trade in the rest of the cardinals before they get eating. Get a MagFloat (my betta tank is coverd in algae, and i lost my old algae scruber) Hopefully some new plants, possible some neon tetras for Hugos Tank. I really liked the splash of red that the caridnals gave, so I'll be looking for some red schooling fish, possibly rummynose. 

I'm in love with the danios, they are fat pigs! I sware no one tells you how much they love food before you buy them. 

I also found this water pump in one of my buckets, and so I used it for my water change! It works really well! I do a quick gravel vac and then pump out the other water!

0iVZuRp3CvfpspVcJ-TnkZdjcgtAhY4rUMAuauTPjhp-jFb5d8mmN27oFV6PXHmaJEX48PkN5ORBSM3WBp8ngtX5Ntc6KNqS75sqJMAA3GG3PC54vt3nwaSd4BKfl5PCkU7dvjoKGNHj9D6rV9IUs9z0GlHu6fTHtsh1BhD97b5Yy47f4QIxE6F37CouCFPRRK0U5rmAME6EjKqoq0f__oQyAA9b97pjX1LKLQja8toGkIAB9gJK__w9LE3aSd7kbx3hYflf1HRipnlaW4oavZ2DPdSUferpHOinmzNvDAo4BgCu7QyK2om_XTHCFYCVju66M6qvfa7srx6zzkAeys67IGt_J6RFuMslK2VT8opOBT9avG3iwD7xOh6i1kqwh6fVo7zVcwVKn2RQ9c2b1SH3MwqUoJTTm4cdEar4zI4PGm3-ZIX7f7MXYyzyntiJ88aCyUExA4S2v5cJUIYFZFClquGmy8oZtKr3TOW8DnDqk--U5wWsFAgdgCCXceGGK6lSmn6_E6SJZr__8ABl8ALlJUGI5xWzGnWa3hMBSv0EtrMFbt0K8BqZTi9zPnO55UiyEvHWH8kHHAZoQdgcMrOQ1NOkseCRqySInATg_fhLTZo1pHzcaTMCwoEdA5xOEXnzbKFbgwOXBknYVcnQhp8hXmvg5-2wF2xBCmVoBT63NB9Um_AR1lzDID5YdW6yM84IaPpJ55Hb3P3RaMsGrebs=w1169-h658-no?authuser=0

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Nothing has really been happening to the community tank in the last little while...

The Bristlenose Pleco has been VERY food aggressive and is fighting every fish when they get to close to his pellets/ algae wafers. He HATES the upside down catfish. So we'll see what will happend. I want to get some corydoras soon, not sure if its for this tank or for a tank I am currently planing. If it was going to be in this tank the pleco would defentley have to go.

I want to make a trip to the LFS soon, trade in the rest of the cardinals before they get eating. Get a MagFloat (my betta tank is coverd in algae, and i lost my old algae scruber) Hopefully some new plants, possible some neon tetras for Hugos Tank. I really liked the splash of red that the caridnals gave, so I'll be looking for some red schooling fish, possibly rummynose. 

I'm in love with the danios, they are fat pigs! I sware no one tells you how much they love food before you buy them. 

I also found this water pump in one of my buckets, and so I used it for my water change! It works really well! I do a quick gravel vac and then pump out the other water!

0iVZuRp3CvfpspVcJ-TnkZdjcgtAhY4rUMAuauTPjhp-jFb5d8mmN27oFV6PXHmaJEX48PkN5ORBSM3WBp8ngtX5Ntc6KNqS75sqJMAA3GG3PC54vt3nwaSd4BKfl5PCkU7dvjoKGNHj9D6rV9IUs9z0GlHu6fTHtsh1BhD97b5Yy47f4QIxE6F37CouCFPRRK0U5rmAME6EjKqoq0f__oQyAA9b97pjX1LKLQja8toGkIAB9gJK__w9LE3aSd7kbx3hYflf1HRipnlaW4oavZ2DPdSUferpHOinmzNvDAo4BgCu7QyK2om_XTHCFYCVju66M6qvfa7srx6zzkAeys67IGt_J6RFuMslK2VT8opOBT9avG3iwD7xOh6i1kqwh6fVo7zVcwVKn2RQ9c2b1SH3MwqUoJTTm4cdEar4zI4PGm3-ZIX7f7MXYyzyntiJ88aCyUExA4S2v5cJUIYFZFClquGmy8oZtKr3TOW8DnDqk--U5wWsFAgdgCCXceGGK6lSmn6_E6SJZr__8ABl8ALlJUGI5xWzGnWa3hMBSv0EtrMFbt0K8BqZTi9zPnO55UiyEvHWH8kHHAZoQdgcMrOQ1NOkseCRqySInATg_fhLTZo1pHzcaTMCwoEdA5xOEXnzbKFbgwOXBknYVcnQhp8hXmvg5-2wF2xBCmVoBT63NB9Um_AR1lzDID5YdW6yM84IaPpJ55Hb3P3RaMsGrebs=w1169-h658-no?authuser=0

My female bristlenose that I used to have also hated my Corydoras. She would charge them if she saw them in her line of sight during feeding.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I don't know if I would describe this tank as, "Nothing has really been happening to the community tank in the last little while..." In fact, it sounds like everyone is keeping you on your toes! Bad pleco, bad fish! Go back to your neutral corners! 😁

• Like 1

This is my favorite tank to feed! I think its because of how much the angels get excited for food, and the fact that this the only time of the day I see the upside down catfish, and the pleco.

Heres a video I shot of what happends when I open the lid:

As soon as I pushed stop, he thought the danios were food🤣. Don't worry nothing bad happend, the danios are too  big anyways!

This guy swalowed three pellets at once:

image.png.eb0caafe6f00448d537ae5ef7031c573.png

And the pleco is still a bit aggressive, not as bad though:

image.png.145a3e415497f80b07656f93e5e5e957.png As you can see, there is some gravel vaccing that needs to be done.

image.png.352d0c7adfb2a450cefb653efa0bdb38.png

Non fish keepers say "all you can do is feed them" when refering to fish to that I respond "and it sure is fun..."

• Like 2

I have a plant order coming in on Tuesday! Can't wait! The majority of the plants will end up in the community tank and then two of them in Hugos Tank!

Community Tank:

• Fancy Twist Sword
  • Anubius Nanna
  • Hygrophilla Siamensis

And then I also got some more root tabs!

I eventually want to get some Java Fern and propergate it to the Drift Wood, the supplier didn't have any in stock.

DQA_4aOV8imLc6WogG5-dw4RNFfYFma7vLNdRkF2jKIJupx9gRIHRFTTsQvg8ipZq4vPiP8ytRGaNNxuMoZpgz_51X7wYWHInyXRFMIXAi-8evdqtJRd0pEi5Bf_ZrJLyrW1n5zVCn23Tad65BHw4v8ANLxx3eIcm1Njp12J3yIE0WLg6wmk-tnfhyeJ7q8PFQO2QPg7ZuctSuZU7WXCU_Uaxans3WZc-PYOUXdeh6mJevfWUt7PSAUhVJBqbViIy_71GdjJ-KuKjr9TaA9TjdFDKkbuAL0P15LxELMvUCUPZYsDtrNN8GJOC49Rjlqjmt1V7xRVFI16wCHhhSj3iBsIWiaLHvhgv9vBMa-XkPpsLMy_KK7sB6u5bIoKzXCeSpTEPk3gvbZREvd6Ytt8ghhXCYO15vgHOf9sUMWZnf50ptd_3RwdsLSEkHCAnkOfuRwCJWi_p0YSQB6NKDxmHNeWK1v93hMX527dEezLjcYUMMGhL8vaEWmV7mtPnn7ntwgXfUSdDmWeFzkBrBiJpYUhFSN3EuUzp3BslvPeajqIyFV1ZHd_h_yvuXswdfkBpZZsCo0pwXJWNH8CAA9K-_Ob7xlGQmhOfpubCTQN9XzAv1FNwJGTVu5T4oLJK_7TcQ-rRk85SMg-pZG1OZY4VNXomOEi4WB07Aoa4JVFUI3JCmwU9VO5HQPIjmZlEaHvbaA7M56d_7hh6VPM_uJOHvsS=w370-h657-no?authuser=0And then the Anubius Nanna Fatty is going in Hugos tank. 

• Like 3

The community tank is oficcially a planted tank (again)!!!!

The Plants Came! Right on time too! 

This was my second time ordering from this supplier, and once again very impressed. The Hygrophillia even came with a baby!

image.png.d9d4e35c9cf7b02b3ec85491a0f48bed.png

I didn't think that the sword would come in so big and monsterous, but its sooo LOVELY!

I just relized that the bristlenose pleco may take a few snacks on the sword, but the plan is to take him back to the lfs to make room for some corydoras. It was either the pleco or the upside down catfish. and well... the upside down catfish are too dang cute to giveup. The cardinals will be going to because they keep get eating by the angel fish one by one.

image.png.f35108d8cad168370e8bbd64ba738052.png It was very big, and very hard to plant

The Anubius Nanna

image.png.d5b2d8957311d0a230728718c088e367.png

And then a few cute snail pics:

e9AgCv-yXbIu0DyFr12UEolQZnsx7M7dUnyUwCv7pcVfkmPZb8xNH0YVreNPxOUh1cJXgTMijjrPFCnY4KZ1Qb8TW_zHiE_KnoVtAenDmzedAGCGASPJMHHDFbKcJomrnErnFHtEV4ad1mXK5WGwIrYlehs1EwBJuAkmlAhYkVJZUFAg5krUCO35S47s4_q7-jSLeghj3_DotyVKr1IMxT7vA51uMJ2Xf9vu7-74hvPRIjOeHZQtnDVWamHBlKJ9Ww9InZoI1IH00cM5diwSkDYuyyoDtkFeZKHmlLYimu9r4A-Ix-hWtuAOLteMn1I7A9WHCR-C5NqlDAWM_ot8CQh5J4PIYBpvnSokso63OIKJxfYZHHQuDvZIzvM-CDRAIcZ9QAmbY3Sn6gecLFdqrWrbuyoqU4rwiQXi2rI14hekOcrziUn5IUGZJb6w3zg3IN9uBMz9iBPcMBAr-iVTRaWPhttIWh1TEV5NaD8TeWeBQMco_rDTvehFphNeLK_9xcI-Hf_6lQdreb0Ad6egCXYkx9OohSHlG03HgJ83qlsBCcRGuZRRzlz0LZpuFAurMD_3FOBxo5oHzrA8ueKhk5Fm8sSzW9WQvs5rgrXBnmaNOWhk8mNRixPJGx6-wKv0op6VZl4-q3LQnF8ZW1G4AR4iOF_nzvctF0sVKXbCYER342jM1eC5C_6zRVbjHwQI6VDKsMHiJeaS3ccFU1pt4SuU=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

I also added the QT sponge filter so that I could keep it seasoned. 

I also got more plants for the betta tank, but wont be planting them yet as I don't know if I want to completley rescape it (again) or just plant them.

Also I order'd 50 root tabs for only $11!!!!

Edited by James Black
  • Like 3
  • Love 1