Algae issue

Calorad

I have a 36 gallon tank that is having issues with algae. I scrubbed the walls and did a water change after but it comes back. I have looked into an alge control however I cannot use it due to the shrimp in the tank. Is there anything I can do or use that would be safe for me to try in controlling the issue.

I recently fought an algae fight. My battle was won with reducing the intensity of the light, shortening the duration of the light being on, reducing plant fertilizer (heavily planted tank), and daily water changes. 

27 minutes ago, Calorad said:

I tried that and its still coming back have limited lighting to 6 hours a day for the past week and most of it has been with blue lights on. Should I completely shut it off then?

The internet says that algae can actually utilize the blue lights where plants generally cannot. I would have the light out completely and avoid just the blues.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MorbidFinch said:

I recently fought an algae fight. My battle was won with reducing the intensity of the light, shortening the duration of the light being on, reducing plant fertilizer (heavily planted tank), and daily water changes. 

The internet says that algae can actually utilize the blue lights where plants generally cannot. I would have the light out completely and avoid just the blues.

How much of a water change did you do, 25 percent?

• 2 months later...

I went on vacation for a week after adding a second light to my fluval 123litre tank and came home to this....  I’d like to get a few snails but I have some yoyo’s in there and the 2 octo’s I have aren’t doing much

2E5DE82C-7E3B-46BB-9BB5-6EBC31A1A426.jpeg

Edited by ScottEsh

4 minutes ago, ScottEsh said:

I went on vacation for a week after adding a second light to my fluval 123litre tank and came home to this.... 

2E5DE82C-7E3B-46BB-9BB5-6EBC31A1A426.jpeg

What fertilizer are you used how many hours a day do you have your lights on do you have any algae eating fish or snails

I would cut your lighting to 8hours a day you can have algae problems when your plants are not getting enough nutrients I would start dosing with some easy green or seachem flourish liquid fertilizer and some root tab  you could also add some more quick growing plants to help out compeat the algae like vallisneria and Hornwort @ScottEsh

Edited by Colu

5 hours ago, Colu said:

I would cut your lighting to 8hours a day you can have algae problems when your plants are not getting enough nutrients I would start dosing with some easy green or seachem flourish liquid fertilizer and some root tab  you could also add some more quick growing plants to help out compeat the algae like vallisneria and Hornwort @ScottEsh

I am not sure that liquid fertilizer is a good idea for rooted plants, this plants do much better with good quality tabs and I think that this is what ScottEsh has. Liquid ferts. are good for plants that feed via the leaf or plants that cant be planted into the substrate such as Anubias and Thea Green, also good for floating plants.

Edited by BenA
adding floating plants.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BenA said:

I am not sure that liquid fertilizer is a good idea for rooted plants, this plants do much better with good quality tabs and I think that this is what ScottEsh has. Liquid ferts. are good for plants that feed via the leaf or plants that cant be planted into the substrate such as Anubias and Thea Green, also good for floating plants.

I think root tabs would be the way to go

Edited by Colu

Ramshorn snails are doing a great job on my algae. Since I've added them I haven't had to scrub any algae off at all. If all else fails try adding a few of them. (Which will become many of them in short order, but the algae will be under control even if the snail population isn't.)

7 minutes ago, gardenman said:

Ramshorn snails are doing a great job on my algae. Since I've added them I haven't had to scrub any algae off at all. If all else fails try adding a few of them. (Which will become many of them in short order, but the algae will be under control even if the snail population isn't.)

I think Ramshorn snail are out he has to loachs

• Like 1