How many times can I water change in a day????

Myznada08

for sure - been there and done that before. I was bringing water home from work because I don't feel comfortable using my well water - I mix it with purchased spring water but the work water became totally wacked out which I discovered when I had this issue before.

now i use purchased spring and RO water from Walmart - test pretty regularly before changes

I prepared for adding my 6 zebra danios by slowly increasing the feeding in the tank while they were in quarantine, expected some spikes after adding them but all has been good until this week.

I lost a tiny danio (literally, moved everything and always stir my plants with adding water) and an oto a week later but all has been going well

Oh yea - one the fasting topic - I fast my tank every Sunday after "Shrimp Saturday"(they get frozen brine shrimp) - I tried a mid-week fast and they ate all the new leaves (a nice size bunch) off my wisteria plant!!

such an adventure!

@Tami lower temps and pH will help reduce toxicity, yes.

Do you have nitrate? If so you still have bacteria that is active, it just might be overwhelmed. There may be something dead in the tank (snails?) Or it could be in your source water, you could have a really dying plant, or have recently treated and killed a bunch of algae, or accidently over fed a bunch.

The trick is to figure out where it is coming from. Usually source water, as @Colusays, or something rotting. Very occasionally some cheaper types of fertilizer contain ammonia.

Thanks for all the thoughts - I have learned so much from Cory's videos and this forum.  I am at a loss but am doing my best to care for the fish until this balances out as I have checked/done everything mentioned (as I have learned).

29 gal tall with some live plants (all healthy and showing new growth). 2 glass fish, 3 serpae, 2 priscilla x-ray, 5 zebra danios, 2 otos, 1 amano shrimp (bought as glass) and 2 glass shrimp - no snails, no dead stuff (looked).

Set up last January fishless and added fish starting in June - Danios and 2 otos in December (1 of each died and removed)

Source water verified before changes - test kit checked with new test kit

My water did seem a little less green(I use a white bucket) with change yesterday, but haven't changed anything to change it. Started with beneficial bacteria when water change wasn't efffective. and added extra Prime to tank, use it with water changes.

Parameters have been:

temp76

ph 7.6

Ammonia 0.5-1

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 40+

I use easy green once a week with leaf zone every other week, root tabs about every 3 since everything is growing.

The only thing new is I put stress coat in with new fish and again when one of my danios scraped itself last week.