20 long stocking

Lemon

so i have a 20 long and I tend to overstock with my planned list the tank is planted with Malaysian driftwood and i will add some rock eventually 

so i was thinking 

12 neon tetras or 20 celestial pearl danios 

6-12 pygmy cories 

6 hasbrosus cories?

3 otocinclus 

4-8 scarlet badis 

3-6 kuhli loaches 

6 eques pencil fish 

cherry shrimp

amano shrimp

is that to much?

Edited by quirkylemon103

Just now, quirkylemon103 said:

so i have a 20 long and I tend to overstock with my planned list the tank is planted with Malaysian driftwood and i will add some rock eventually 

so i was thinking 

6-12 pygmy cories 

6 hasbrosus cories?

3 otocinclus 

4-8 scarlet badis 

3-6 kuhli loaches 

6 eques pencil fish 

is that to much?

Ooh that sounds fun!

• Tetras/Danios: That seems like a good amount.
  • Bottom Dwellers (cories, otos, loaches): I would up the number of Otocinclus. I heard that they behave similar to cories and live in large schools as well. So about 6 of them. I would consider taking out one group of bottom dwellers (one group of cories, kuhlis loaches, or otos) as that looks like a lot of bottom dwellers. But then again, they are all very tiny.
  • Badis: I don't know too much about these, so...
  • Pencilfish: They stay near the top, so they should be fine.

I have never kept any of these fish besides neon tetras (if only for a few weeks when I first started the hobby), and the pygmy cories, so I would check with more experienced fishkeepers on their behaviors. In terms of bioload, I think  it would be fine as long as you have plenty of biological filtration (filter floss, sponge filter, etc.), aeration, and lots of plants (if I recall correctly, all the fish you chose love live plants).

Hope this helps.

Seems like a fun tank!

-unlike what @CorydorasEthan said I would not reccemoend putting more then three ottos in a tank. Yes they do enjoy more friends like corydoras. But the algae and food probably wont be enough to sustain 6 ottos. 3 may even be a bit much. especially if you plan on having amano and cherry shrimp.

-I would do the CPDs but thats just because i like them more then the neon tetras

-It seems that you will have lots of bottom dwelling fish. The corys, shrimp, kuhlis, ottos will all ocupant the bottom. I would say to stick with one kind of corydora, one kind of shrimp (they will breed like cazy) and the pygmys may be better off with the cherry shrimps. Scarlet Badis will also occupy the bottom portion of the tank, so I would say three of those.

Heres what i would say it should loook like in simpillar terms

-Pygmy Corys 6

-Kuhli Loaches 3

-Cherry Shrimp 6

-CPDs 15-20

-Scarlet Badis 3

-4 Pencilfish

keep up on your matnience, and have fun with this tank!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Ooh that sounds fun!

• Tetras/Danios: That seems like a good amount.
  • Bottom Dwellers (cories, otos, loaches): I would up the number of Otocinclus. I heard that they behave similar to cories and live in large schools as well. So about 6 of them. I would consider taking out one group of bottom dwellers (one group of cories, kuhlis loaches, or otos) as that looks like a lot of bottom dwellers. But then again, they are all very tiny.
  • Badis: I don't know too much about these, so...
  • Pencilfish: They stay near the top, so they should be fine.

I have never kept any of these fish besides neon tetras (if only for a few weeks when I first started the hobby), and the pygmy cories, so I would check with more experienced fishkeepers on their behaviors. In terms of bioload, I think  it would be fine as long as you have plenty of biological filtration (filter floss, sponge filter, etc.), aeration, and lots of plants (if I recall correctly, all the fish you chose love live plants).

Hope this helps.

i thought otos hung out everywhere 

for the bottom dwellers are you saying take out one group or only one group?

I will most likely do the cpds

thanks for the input? advice? 

7 minutes ago, James Black said:

unlike what @CorydorasEthan said I would not reccemoend putting more then three ottos in a tank. Yes they do enjoy more friends like corydoras. But the algae and food probably wont be enough to sustain 6 ottos. 3 may even be a bit much. especially if you plan on having amano and cherry shrimp.

Thank you for clearing this up! I haven't had any experience with otos, but I am planning on keeping some soon, so I'm thankful for the correction!

updated list

15 celestial pearl danios 

6 pygmy cories 

6 kuhli loaches

10 cherry shrimp(that's the minimum for flip aquatics) 

3 scarlet badis

6 eques pencilfish 

I will probably up the schools over time 

Edited by quirkylemon103
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackLabelCarling said:

Looks like a fun tank! You most likely won't get many shrimplettes to survive with the badis in there, but their mouths are too small to eat the adults. 

I'm not going to try and breed anything but maybe if I plant heavily enough some fry/shrimplettes will survive 

• Like 2

well I decided against  pencil fish(they don't fit the tiny size theme) and cpds(they seem to sensitive) 

so the new list

20 chili rasboras(I will start out with 10) 

20 green kubotai rasbora(i will start out with 10)

6 pygmy cories(12 would be to much right? or is it fine)

6 kuhli loaches

10 cherry shrimp(that's the minimum for flip aquatics) 

3 scarlet badis

I will probably up the schools over time 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

My otocats pretty much stay hidden in the bottom, but they come on the glass at night, and occasionally do a lap or two with the rasboras in the evening or early morning.  

I don't plan on doing otos anymore since i think i won't be able to provide enough algae for a school

On 2/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

so i was thinking 

6-12 pygmy cories 

6 hasbrosus cories?

3 otocinclus 

4-8 scarlet badis 

3-6 kuhli loaches 

6 eques pencil fish 

cherry shrimp

amano shrimp

is that to much?

I hate to tell you this, but that’s fairly close to how many bottom dwellers I plan to put in my 100 gallon tank.  That would really be a lot for a 20 long.

There’s a decent stocking calculator here.

https://aqadvisor.com/

In my opinion it calculates on the light side, but that’s definitely for the best for beginners.  You can also use it to list only fish that are appropriate for your size tank and it does a decent job for that.  It also includes dwarf shrimp.

Don’t forget you need to gradually add your inhabitants unless you’ve done a fishless cycle using pure ammonia to max out your biofiltration and your filter did well after at least a couple more ammonia challenges.  If you did that technique, you can apparently add a 50% load right from the beginning, then gradually add the rest once you make certain your parameters are still stable.  I’m more old-fashioned and stock gradually, but I will add a “group” at a time, typically.

Edited to add that your original list of bottom dwellers is pretty much equivalent to what I have planned for my tank.

Edited by Odd Duck