HOB Aeration

Pakal

I have a question. I was wondering if HOB filters provide sufficient oxygen for a 10-gallon. I have my 10-gallon tank set up but have yet to add my fish. My HOB filter creates lots of movement at the surface but I'm not sure if I'm going to need air stones or not. I noticed bubbles on my aquarium decor and at the surface but I'm still not sure if that'd be enough oxygen for my fish. What are your thoughts?

Assuming that the HOB is an appropriate size for the tank and the tank is appropriately stocked, then it should provide enough O2 for your fish.

If the tank is going to be very heavily stocked, then you may want to add an airstone...although at that point might as well add a sponge filter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Squeegee79 said:

Assuming that the HOB is an appropriate size for the tank and the tank is appropriately stocked, then it should provide enough O2 for your fish.

If the tank is going to be very heavily stocked, then you may want to add an airstone...although at that point might as well add a sponge filter.

Yes I agree. When I used my 10 gallon for guppies and cories, I used the cheap HOB filter provided in the Wal-Mart kit, so I supplemented the aeration with a large airstone (I did not know about sponge filters back then). So I would add a sponge filter. It is cheap and it certainly won't hurt to put one in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squeegee79 said:

Would you recommend the USB Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump?

20 minutes ago, Pakal said:

Would you recommend the USB Aquarium Co-Op Air Pump?

I use 10 of them.  Haven’t had any problems.  They are all running coop sponge filters.  They have enough air to run those with no problem and they are nearly silent (my favorite part).

• Like 1