Broken fins

Chiclid addict

Hello all I rescued and angel fish from one of my buddysimage.jpg.77ee498c87995a6070f4334fb07adb4a.jpg This is the angel he/she was kept him in a 10 gallon that he touched the top and substrate he/she has a broken top fin I think is there a way I can fix this or is this natural I’ve never seen this in any of my angels 

Apperently he was kept with chiclids in his 10 gallon at one point? Could this have been from this and him getting attacked 

Edited by Angelfishlover
New information
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Angelfishlover said:

is there a way I can fix this or is this natural I’ve never seen this in any of my angels 

Just surmising . . . he's probably going to have a gimpy fin. I've seen lazy dorsals before, but that might have come from being cramped in a 10 gallon for too long.  

32 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Just surmising . . . he's probably going to have a gimpy fin. I've seen lazy dorsals before, but that might have come from being cramped in a 10 gallon for too long.  

Yeah that’s what I though he’s older to supposedly he was supposedly bought in 2018 so he’s 2 witch angels can live much past but idk based on his former care he was also fed flake food before witch I’m not a fan of for angels

I’m not an expert by any means but, for what it’s worth, it does look rather healthy over all to me regardless of its previous conditions. Other than it’s dorsal, it’s fins look good. Good color, structure. No rips or holes. As long as it keeps eating and doesn’t have any hidden diseases/parasites or anything I say don’t worry about it.

As to fixing it? I honestly don’t think their is anything you can do to fix it and preventing it requires much more knowledge than I have on the subject. Do you know if your friend acquired it with the bent dorsal or did it happen over time under your friends care? I’m not trying to call them out, it’s just handy information to have that may help answer some other questions.

The bent dorsal actually makes it look like it’s sporting a killer pompadour. Johnny Bravo style!

So this is going to be a hot topic response but I have seen mentioned on angelfish specific resource forums in the past. That if it is genetic and you cut the fin back it will not regrow correctly. But if it is from poor water conditions, or a small tank if you trim the fin it will grow back correctly. Now I’ve never seen this done or know how far back to trim. Nor do I have an opinion on that ethics of this. Just giving you the information. 

4 hours ago, Ryan W said:Do you know if your friend acquired it with the bent dorsal or did it happen over time under your friends care? I’m not trying to call them out, it’s just handy information to have that may help answer some other questions.

I believe that he acquired it with out the bent fin I’m not 100% sure and neither is he 

3 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

So this is going to be a hot topic response but I have seen mentioned on angelfish specific resource forums in the past. That if it is genetic and you cut the fin back it will not regrow correctly. But if it is from poor water conditions, or a small tank if you trim the fin it will grow back correctly. Now I’ve never seen this done or know how far back to trim. Nor do I have an opinion on that ethics of this. Just giving you the information. 

It doesn’t seem to bother him and I don’t fell comfortable trimming his fins so unless there is another way, I haven’t been able to find anything on it he was housed with chiclids so he might have had a fin trimming by the chiclids😭 Witch could’ve caused this 

Edited by Angelfishlover